Motor Oil Kills Roots

If you dump several quarts of (your used, car) motor oil down your drain, the oil will penetrate the roots getting into your sewer pipe and kill them, within a matter of days. Of course, for obvious reasons, the city sewer plant frowns on receiving old motor oil into their system and their plant.

Reply to
MilkyWhy

ROFLMAO!

This is in the top 10 stupid pieces of advice I've read in alt.home.repair in a very long time.

What utter nonsense...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Not only that, but I don't think it works anyway.

Years and years ago, I knew a guy who used to dispose of the oil from his two cars this way... he changed oil fairly regularly too.

He also had a cracked sewer line that was always full of roots... as I recall he had Roto Rooter and the like out at least once a year chopping them out.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

flush several tampons quickly down the toilet at the same time and they fluff up and act like pistons to clean out the sewer pipe ;)

Reply to
bumtracks

Yes, and if someone is choking on an ice cube, pour boiling water down his throat.

Reply to
dpsours

A better idea is to recycle the oil. This might be a better solution to the root problem:

fatman985

It also lubricates the pipes, not only your house, but the entire sanitary sewer system.

Another trick is to pour about a cup of gasoline down the drain access. Wait ten minutes, then toss a match in the opening. This will blow away the encroaching roots.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Thanks for the link. Now,.......any ideas how I can stop the sewage back up caused by fluffed up tampons? :)

Reply to
F.H.