Motor-oil on concrete? ? ?

My snow-blower leaked a rather large puddle of motor-oil on our basement concrete floor.

What's the best way to get the stain out?

Reply to
Ray

Start with getting as much oil out as possible. I suggest starting with kitty littler and naphtha. pour on the naphtha and then cover it with the kitty letter. Keep it damp for some time and then add more kitty litter to dry it up. Clean up the kitty litter and repeat if necessary as long as it helps. Next try TSP if available in your area, if not try one of the specialty products made for cleaning oil and other stains off concrete.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'd be afraid to pour naphtha on the floor. The fumes are highly volatile and could cause a fire rather quickly if they hit a pilot light on a heater. Just like pouring gasoline right on the floor. When we were kids, my brother set our house on fire pouring gas in the basement. Use an oil absorbent first. Let it sit for a few days, the clean with a strong detergent or TSP.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Put a handful of dry concrete on the stain, leave it for a day and sweep it up. Works great.

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

You are right, I should have included cautions. Naphtha is less dangerous than many of the alternatives, but it is still dangerous. I do use it, but if I had an open flame anywhere in the garage or connected area, I would be sure to eliminate that flame first.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

paint over it. that way the next spill will come up easy.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Eeek!

Wouldn't naptha (gasoline, etc.), dissolve the oil and let it sink further into the concrete?

Kitty litter for quite a while is good. I think I'd then try power washing with detergent.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Spray the oil spot with brake parts cleaner and wipe up with a rag...

Reply to
ROBMURR

I just put sawdust on it, walk on it and occasionally sweep it up and put fresh sawdust down. If you want to get rid of the residual stain after that, use a specialty product.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Liquid Tide, strong brush, and elbow grease.

Reply to
Alan

Why worry about it? Just park the snow blower over the spot and fuhgedahboutit.....

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Pour cat litter or oil dry on it. Leave it, walk on the area as often as you can; sweep after a few weeks.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Laquer thinner works exceptionally well in the driveway. I'd be reluctant to use it indoors, though.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

Reply to
Bob Bowles

That's still too spooky for me...I'd keep any volatile liquid away from the open flame...maybe if there were an exhausting fan as well as the open door...just why take a chance? It'll only go boom once.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The Number One answer is: find a quart of DC-13 from Klean-Strip (Driveway and Concrete cleaner) Yardbirds out in Calif has it, my local HD used to carry it....

Reply to
Yuban Hadd

Id start with liquid dishwasher soap, It may not be 100% but it is safe and can sometimes work wonders on oil.

jtees4