Start with getting as much oil out as possible. I suggest starting with
kitty littler and naphtha. pour on the naphtha and then cover it with the
kitty letter. Keep it damp for some time and then add more kitty litter to
dry it up. Clean up the kitty litter and repeat if necessary as long as it
helps. Next try TSP if available in your area, if not try one of the
specialty products made for cleaning oil and other stains off concrete.
I'd be afraid to pour naphtha on the floor. The fumes are highly volatile
and could cause a fire rather quickly if they hit a pilot light on a heater.
Just like pouring gasoline right on the floor. When we were kids, my brother
set our house on fire pouring gas in the basement. Use an oil absorbent
first. Let it sit for a few days, the clean with a strong detergent or TSP.
You are right, I should have included cautions. Naphtha is less
dangerous than many of the alternatives, but it is still dangerous. I do
use it, but if I had an open flame anywhere in the garage or connected area,
I would be sure to eliminate that flame first.
Our paper reported a couple of years ago a man was seriously burned
when the vapors from lacquer thinner exploded when they reached the
pilot of the stove in the kitchen he was cleaning. I use it in the
garage where the water heater is on a stand above the floor where
vapors collect. The garage doors are also open for ventilation.
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:13:37 -0600, Mike Hartigan
That's still too spooky for me...I'd keep any <highly> volatile liquid
away from the open flame...maybe if there were an exhausting fan as well
as the open door...just why take a chance? It'll only go boom once.
Id start with liquid dishwasher soap, It may not be 100% but it is
safe and can sometimes work wonders on oil.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.