More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

Page 6 of 7
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Exactly. Most don't realize that Houston is closer to Florida than it is to El Paso and El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is to Houston. Between Houston and El Paso, you'll pass through counties that are bigger than some states.
What this means is that there's a whole lot of nothing out there.
I'm surprised there aren't more private pilots !

Yup by a like token it is farther by road from Pensacola Florida to Key West as it is from Portland Maine to Raleigh North Carolina.
Right before I left IBM they wanted me to commute from Ft Myers to Ft Lauderdale. (125 miles one way) I put in my papers and told them to fuck off.

??? I suppose if you mean Rhode Island it is possible but I doubt it applies to more than a coiouple states. When I was dispatching I discovered that Texas has a very large amount of counties...as in over 300 (I forget the actual number. I also lived in the San Antonio and San Angelo areas for many years and one didn't drive very many miles in any direction before crossing a county border - usually marked by a liquor store when crossing from a dry to a wet county ;)
Harry K

Brewster County Texas (~6100 sq/mi) is bigger than DC, Rhode Island, Delaware or Connecticut.
Harry K wrote:

The largest county in Texas, Brewster, is 6184 sq miles. The smallest is Rockwell at 127 sq miles. The average county in Texas is 1057 sq miles in area.
Texas has 254 counties (out of 3050 in the whole country). I thought everybody knew that.
We also have 254 Texas Rangers, and not by coincidence.

There are three states smaller.

DC is smaller than the average.

More than any other state, fer sure!
Sounds like the one time I went out west, to visit Salt Lake City. Nebraska was like that. A town about ever 50 miles, and nothing but sand in between. Beautifully maintained asphalt roads in between.
For most people who live in places with long drives it is just the time out of their lives that they want back. This may not make sense to people in the North East who have never driven much in the West. They can't even comprehend a place where towns are 50 miles apart and a whole lot of nothing in between.
On 11/20/2012 10:39 AM, Harry K wrote:

Simple failure to grok. I actually get travel time depending on distance. I have more than "one" client to take care of. Perhaps if you understood the service business you would realize what I must go through. ^_^
TDD
On Nov 20, 9:47am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

Yep, I read it backwards. I realized that right after I sent it.
Harry K

I expect a contractor to include his travel time to a job in what he charges to do the job. I mean, that's common business sense. You charge more than your expenses to make a profit. Time should always be included as an expense. Thought everybody knew that. I don't want a guy working for me breaking the law, speeding through construction zones, school zones, etc., I should be paying him enough so he doesn't have to turn to crime. This speeding stuff might apply to jitney cab drivers and independent truckers. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense when talking about business. I worked 4 years at UPS. Pretty sure they're still successful. They don't have to speed to do it. Drivers get fired for speeding. Now when I drive 1200 miles to vacation in Florida, if I do 80 it's 15 hours of driving. If I do 70 it's 17 hours. I relax, and do 70-75. Others choose 80 as their minimum. Pretty safe as far as tickets, but puts them in the left lane tailgating and being tailgated. It mostly gets down to safety and a more relaxed drive to me.

I have never gotten an itemized bill listing travel _time_. When I was building a couple houses there were mileage charges for delivery of material but that was it. All others were billed as "service call" which was standard no matter what the mileage was, i.e., customer 5 miles away paid same fee as one 30 miles.
Harry K

Do you see you error? You are assuming that 'driving longer' uses more gas. Clue: the engine will turn over in high gear the same number of times at 30 mph as it does at 150mph over the same distance.
That is another common fallacy along with the "two cars crash head on at 60, is the same as crasing into a wall at 120".
Higer speed is what costs more because you need more fuel to force the vehicle through the air and rolling ristance.
Harry K
Harry K

My time is worth more to me than the ammount of extra gas cost. I try not to go more than 5 mph over the speed limit because I do not want a ticket. However if the speed limit was 100 mph I would drive it.
There may be less accidents if the speed limit was around 100 mph or more. People would have to pay attention to what was going on and not have time to read books and put on makeup while driving.
Saw a TV show about the Autobond (however you spell it) and then seem to monitor most of it by remote TV. If you are doing something wrong, they just send you a ticket in the mail.
On 11/20/2012 8:55 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

It's "Autobahn" by the way but I think we here in The U.S. should consider what the German requirements for a driving license are and copy some of it. It would definitely keep a lot of morons off the nation's highways but of course, the P.L.L.C.F. would scream bloody murder because it would require that applicants have SOME intelligence to obtain a driver's license. ^_^
http://www.german-way.com/driving.html
TDD
HeyBub wrote:

I live in Houston and 85 MPH is normal even on the regular freeways (if they are not jammed up). I'll be on beltway-8 often and just keep up with traffic, glace down at the speedo and see I'm going 80+ quite often. Cops don't care if you're in a "pack" keeping up with the rest of traffic. They just single out the lone driver going over the posted limit when no one else is around. Hell, I've passed police cars that were driving too slow (60 MPH) or so on the beltway.
If you've even taken a "Smith Driving Course", they will tell you that police vehicles are a safety hazard because everyone slows down suddenly when they encounter one. Me, I just go with the rate of flow - it's safer that way.

Exactly!!
Harry K

The only thing speed limits do is screw up that flow.
On Nov 22, 10:41am, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

Yep and that includes the yo yos who put their cruise at exactly the posted and bcome rolling road blocks.
Harry K

The ones who piss me off are the ones who don't use the speed control and are constantly changing speed. When trying to overtake them, they speed up and then slow down the instant you give up. Cruise is a great gadget but like everything else, it has to be used properly.
On 11/23/2012 12:08 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

You whine about everything.