ModernMaid microwave

I have some friends who have a built-in ModernMaid microwave(above the regular electric oven),about 20 years old. It quit a couple of weeks ago, and the had a reputable independant appliance tech look at it . He told them the mag tube was bad, and that it was no longer available.I am wondering how universal mag tubes are and if any other tubes can be substituted if the exact one for that unit is indeed not available. I see in my Johnstone catalog that they have four tubes they say are direct and universal replacements for numerous brands including ModernMaid. Any advice I can get from the microwave gurus here will be greatly appreciated. The people know they can buy a new oven for $39, but they want the built in one fixed if possible and are willing to spend whatever it costs--within reason- .Thanks Larry

This is Turtle.
I know Electronic Wizard here in Town that built his own but it cost him dearly to get all the control parts to be mounted in a set possion and to get them all in a possion to be able to make it useable. Another big thing was the fan to cool the mag tube and the cooking area all at the same time. He used 1/4" Plexey glass outter hull to see all the parts and a 3/8" teflon squares to build the cooking box. He did not have the spinner in the middle to turn the food. That was going to be the next try. He said the Mag tube had to get air or it will bvurn out too soon. He said the cost was just over $100.00 and a lot of time.
I'm now a Gurus but just a good watcher of a fellow with too much time on his hands.
TURTLE

Tell your friend to forget repairing it, and buy a new microwave that fits the hole in the cabinet. Today's units are safer, more effective, have better capacity, turntable, etc. Plus, a new one is likely 1/4th the price of the ModernMaid, in inflation adjusted dollars.

This is Turtle.
Hummmmm , Did not read the poster's words well did you. He said cost no object !
TURTLE
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (lp13-30) wrote in message

Hi,
Sometimes the numder from the bottom of the old magnetron can be crossed over to a replacement style....but none are "really" universal.
Check yours against the list.
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?a-1appliance+tSwkBf+magnetrons.html