Mix 5.1 to 4 channels AND keep 5.1?

I want to mix the 5.1 output of my PC down to 4 channels, while maintaining the 5.1 output for my headphones.

I have a diagram of what I want to do posted at

.

Any idea what I need to do to make his work?

Reply to
Noozer

"Noozer" wrote in news:duhsg.140347$iF6.25777@pd7tw2no:

Yea. Post it in the right NG.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Just how exactly do you propose to get a set of 5.1 earphones?

I imagine the subwoofer would become especially heavy after extended wearing.

Kidding aside, the diagram you have there isn't even a 5.1 system - it's only a non-surround 3.1. I'm having trouble working out exactly what you're trying to do there.

And - OMG, you can't just use diodes like that either! You'll need to use op-amps. A search engine should help you.

Reply to
glenn P

Uhm... already got them. The drivers are mounted fore and aft of the ear, with a larger driver for the bass.

I goofed on the diagram and had two connections to the center channel instead of one on center and one on the sub. I've fixed the diagram.

That's three 2 channel connections there. Front right and left, rear right and left, and center and sub.

I know that diodes won't work... Just the logic behind what I'm trying to do... I ain't to good figgerin' them thar lectronik stuffs. : )

I want to add the center channel to the front left and right channels. I also want to add the sub channel to the front and rear right and left channels. After doing this, I still want to maintain the 5.1 output to connect my amplified headphones to. With this setup, I can leave the headphones plugged in all the time, and turn the 4 channel speakers on/off depending on how late at night it gets. It REALLY sucks having to climb under the desk to swap the connections.

I'm looking for the simplest circuit I can find... The 4 channel speakers and the 5.1 headphones are both amplified. I have volume control on the 4 channel amp, so I can turn the volume up if need be. The original 5.1 source will be either the mainboards 5.1 output or the output from a SoundBlaster Audigy 4 card.

Reply to
Noozer

Now I understand what you mean! I also obviously didnt realise that such a headphone existed, the joke's on me after all...

So, I guess that by "using" diodes, you are saying that you want to isolate the two systems, which is what you really should do, but the system should work OK without it.

BTW, putting the sub channel to your 4 channel amp won't acheive anything in particular, I don't think it's necessary. The only problem is combining the centre channel to the 4 channel. Without a proper mixer, you'll probably end up with garbage audio all round.

Why not try getting a 3,5mm stereo plug to double socket adaptor to your front & rear channels, then run a 3,5mm to RCA to each input of your amp. You'll get a lower level, but it should still work.

Reply to
glenn P

The 4 channel amp has a crossover built in to drive a sub... It accepts four channels and has four speaker and a sub. Not sure if this would be considered 4.1 or just 4 channel.

Tried it... It worked, kinda. I got little bass from my speakers and sometimes the audio sounded really odd as the center channel was missing. Headphones sounded fine the whole time though.

Reply to
Simon