Metal Spinning - Pretty Cool!

I saw this on the How It's Made the other day. There's lot's of youtube videos for Metal Spinning. This one shows both CNC spinning and hand-tooling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTC46hH2Bm0

I never knew this process existed. The hand-tooling part is pretty cool!

Yes, metal spinning is a pretty cool process.
I have a buddy who owns a metal fab shop & they do spinning on occassion.
I believe that copper "stub outs" / "bullets" are made via the spinning process.
cheers Bob
On 12/1/2010 9:21 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I enjoy these shows on the cable Science channel. Always learn something interesting.

We did that in metal shop back in high school in the mid 1960's & it was both easy and amazing. I have a lathe, maybe I'll give it another try one day.

Tried it on my lathe a while back, but limited success. The big problem is the need for a super heavy duty tool rest as the YouTube vids show. Aluminum might be easier, but the copper I tried (0.030") was too mean to make more than a small bowl shape depression even after re-annealing with propane torch. Some 0.010" copper was overly flimsy for the forming buck I had cobbled up. Still, with better tooling and maybe more HP it looks like it could work. Maybe later...
Joe
Joe wrote:

Aye, I noticed that rest also. The fellow doing that operation looked like he had been doing that for awhile, which also helps.
Jon
On Dec 2, 12:51am, "Jon Danniken"

Search youtube for Metal Spinning.
Lots of hits, mostly hand-tooling, some jigs, etc.
If I ever get a lathe...

We didn't. But sometimes we had metal stock.

I have watched the automated one before. The hand-tooling one is cool like you said. That I had not seen.
Colbyt