Metal Spinning - Pretty Cool!

I saw this on the How It's Made the other day. There's lot's of youtube videos for Metal Spinning. This one shows both CNC spinning and hand-tooling.

I never knew this process existed. The hand-tooling part is pretty cool!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, metal spinning is a pretty cool process.

I have a buddy who owns a metal fab shop & they do spinning on occassion.

I believe that copper "stub outs" / "bullets" are made via the spinning process.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

I enjoy these shows on the cable Science channel. Always learn something interesting.

Reply to
Frank

We did that in metal shop back in high school in the mid 1960's & it was both easy and amazing. I have a lathe, maybe I'll give it another try one day.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Tried it on my lathe a while back, but limited success. The big problem is the need for a super heavy duty tool rest as the YouTube vids show. Aluminum might be easier, but the copper I tried (0.030") was too mean to make more than a small bowl shape depression even after re-annealing with propane torch. Some 0.010" copper was overly flimsy for the forming buck I had cobbled up. Still, with better tooling and maybe more HP it looks like it could work. Maybe later...

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Eric in North TX wrote in news:07af4cd1-4e46-4e29-858b- snipped-for-privacy@f21g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

We didn't. But sometimes we had metal stock.

Reply to
Red Green

I have watched the automated one before. The hand-tooling one is cool like you said. That I had not seen.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Aye, I noticed that rest also. The fellow doing that operation looked like he had been doing that for awhile, which also helps.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Search youtube for Metal Spinning.

Lots of hits, mostly hand-tooling, some jigs, etc.

If I ever get a lathe...

Reply to
DerbyDad03