May leave Xmas lights up all year

I put up a couple of strings of white LED Xmas lights up underneath my front porch and plugged them in to the existing lamp socket. You cant see the lights from the front of the house but they light up the porch nicely at night.. Original lights were two clear bulb incandescent lamps. Outlets were made into the old porcelain fixtures
Jimmie
On 12/31/2011 9:48 PM, JIMMIE wrote:

The led string will consume a lot less power and may last a great deal longer than a CFL or incandescent bulb. Why not?
TDD

They don't last long enough to permanently install. Just hire someone to put up the decorations each year. They can have it all done before you get back from the Bahamas.
Perhaps JIMMIE will let us know when the LED string burns out? Could work.
They don't last long enough to permanently install. Just hire someone to put up the decorations each year. They can have it all done before you get back from the Bahamas.
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 19:48:47 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

If it works for you, go ahead. My way works for me. I leave them down all year. Candles in the windows is what my wife does.
The only problem is that they are not rated for continuous year round outdoor exposure.
Most strings say 3 months and that maybe cumulative over the years so if they are up one month at a time you should only use them for three years.

It's a nice way to light a porch -- very even illumination, not too bright and certainly energy efficient. Rope light would be a better choice because it's UL rated for outdoor installations on a continuous basis. Holiday light strings are only rated for seasonal use.
Tomsic

A house near me had Xmas light up all year from a year ago. They were hung in trees in the yard and were the type that look like icicles, with light strobing down. I was surprised at how long they lasted. Over the months the number that were still working declined, but I'd say most made it through summer and there were still some left going into Dec. They finally took them down a couple weeks before this Xmas and replaced them with new ones.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote the following:

I live on a short (400'?) cul-de-sac off a dead end road, consisting of 7 houses, with 3 of them in the circle. My neighbor across the street puts up Christmas lights all over his house and lawn every year. It's enough to provide the holiday spirit for the whole cul-de-sac, and to some extent, provide some ambient lighting for the street since there are no street lights. No other neighbor goes to such great lengths, and the only major traffic on the street are residents and guests.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY