Cutting off the top edge of a car battery?

What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? Hack saw, eledtric sabre saw? Some sort of hot wire device? ??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, sell batteries that are the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names.. And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

Reply to
micky

You want to cut the top off aof a brand new battery that you are going to buy???? That just might void the warranty, to say nothing about the chances of shorting something out and blowing up the whole battery and maybe severely disfiguring your face and body due toi the flying acid from the explosion. BAD IDEA

Reply to
hrhofmann

Is the fuse box cover your only concern? The last time I replaced a fuse on a car was back in the early 70's. I'd not worry about it at all.

If you are cutting a protruding lip, not a big deal, but if you are cutting the actual case, I'd not touch it. Not worth the risk.

As you noted, battery case sizes are standard and every manufacturer uses the same one. They should standardize more parts, filters,, alternators, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, Also alternator should have enough capacity to charge bigger battery in time when it is running down.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I would use side-cutters or tin snips.

If you break the seal and let the gel out, you're screwed!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Here ya go, say good-bye to the warranty on the battery though.

Mr. Austerity

This one would probably work better:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Nice troll - down boy

Reply to
Bob-tx

Go to a REAL parts store and buy the correct battery!

Reply to
albosch

Bad idea. Car batteries contain sulphuric acid, which is highly corrosive.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's what I was thinking too. If it just makes getting the fuse box cover off somewhat more difficult, I wouldn't worry about it either. I've only replaced maybe one fuse in the last 20 years here too. I however checked them a little more often than that when something wasn't working and as usual, started with the fuse.

Agree. If it's a clear extension piece to the case and he just wants to take that off I'd probably use a hacksaw. Can't say for sure without seeing it though.

Reply to
trader4

You guys just driving 2-3 yr old cars? My Impala is 'only' 10 yrs old and I've had the covers off those panels [inside each of the front doors- so handy] a dozen times at least-- Not even counting the time, last year, that I fried the wires with one of those cigg. lighter compressors.

And these have been random fuses-- not an ongoing problem.

And thanks for the reminder--- the rear window defroster needs something- I'll start with a look in the fuze box.

Jim [and I'll jump on with everybody else-- Buy the right battery. Interstate are my choice these days

]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

No, one of my cars is a 32 year old Mercedes and I can recall one fuse blowing. I've had a variety of cars over the years and yes some of them I only kept for 3 years. I had corporate lease cars for 15 years and went through a bunch of Pontiacs. Never blew a fuse in any of them. I've had others including a 10 year old Porsche that hasn't blown a single fuse.

Reply to
trader4

Batteries make hydrogen. Cutting with anything that might create a spark makes batteries go BOOM.

Reply to
dadiOH

Nope, I'm talking cars that are 10 to 15 years old. I could be wrong about the early 70's though, it may have been the late 60's since I changed a fuse.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

micky wrote the following:

Not if your health insurance is up to date and the hospital is not too far away. Keep your cell phone nearby with 911 on speed dial.

Reply to
willshak

That's about as useful as saying "do the job right". Leaves the OP with no useful instructions. A wasted post. I thought you were more helpful than that?

.

Buy the RIGHT battery. Forget the PepBoys/autozone crap. There are quite a few manufacturers/brands that will sell you a REAL battery that will fit properly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just think of the tax incentives. That should clinch the deal, right there.

.

If all else fails, get one of them 850lb batteries, remove the entire engine except for the starter, and use the starter to power the car. (You'll have to couple the starter to the transmission input shaft, using rubber bands or duct tape}.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's weird. Usually a fuse blowing means something is wrong., and the same fuse will blow again. Maybe it was a batch of sub-par fuses when they built it. My '97 Lumina only blew one fuse so far. I put a reman A/C compressor on it blew the fuse as soon as it kicked on. Did the same to a second fuse so I pulled the compressor off and exchanged it. That one leaked at the shaft seal after a couple months. On vacation in Florida where it was 95 degrees and near 100% humidity. Exchanged that for an OEM and an extra 100 bucks. Lot of wasted labor and 134a. I'll never buy a reman A/C compressor again.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Actually, just cutting the handle off the average battery is NOT a safety hazard - and if it has not been recently charged or loaded hydrogen is not an issue either. But it is still a rather stupid idea when batteries that actually fit are very readily available.

Reply to
clare