XMas tree lights? Jeez

Ok, I MUST be missing the point here. I bought a $200 tree from Fortunoff just before XMas, and now one or two of the 10 strings of lights built into the tree are out.

Now it did say when ONE goes out, they dont ALL go out in the strings. But that is really just annoying BS. When two or more go out, how can you find which ones? Each one is tightly stuck in the holder, is buried within the tree branches, and it would take me all day to take each one out and test or replace it with another.

Tree is going STRAIGHT BACK to fortunoff this weekend, unless someone here can (pun) show me the light.

Thanks

Dean

Reply to
dean

Ok, I MUST be missing the point here. I bought a $200 tree from Fortunoff just before XMas, and now one or two of the 10 strings of lights built into the tree are out.

Now it did say when ONE goes out, they dont ALL go out in the strings. But that is really just annoying BS. When two or more go out, how can you find which ones? Each one is tightly stuck in the holder, is buried within the tree branches, and it would take me all day to take each one out and test or replace it with another.

Tree is going STRAIGHT BACK to fortunoff this weekend, unless someone here can (pun) show me the light.

Thanks

Dean

Reply to
dean

Series-wired lights can be tested easily if you know how they're connected electrically. A string will have 120V at one end and 0V at the other. If they're working, the voltage drops gradually along the string. If one (or more) are out, you will see 120V at the way until you get to the bad one.

That's how you can use a non-contact voltage detector (including those "Christmas light testers" Wal-Mart sold for $4.95).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd