outdoor xmas lights

sorry guys and girls, stupid question. But just got my first house and bought one of those merry christmas rope lights like everyone has. The shop assistat told me that the lights had to be plugged in indoors. But they are not what I expected the the power cable is fairly think about 1/2 inch and you cannot take the plug off the end as its moulded. so just wondering how im supposed to fit it without drilling a plug sized hole in the side of my house!?
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

You can cut it off and fit a new one.

Leave a window open for Santa.
What's your address by the way;-)
MBQ

You drill a 1/2" hole and feed the light rope through from inside, or else you only inflict the thing on people inside your house.
Colin Bignell
On 6 Dec 2005 05:53:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

Only the ones with no taste

Cut the plug off leaving a suitable exposed length of cable, stick it in the wall. Handle cable end repeatedly until you see fireworks. Then you won't inflict your hideous lights on anyone else.
Happy Christmas, hope it goes with a big bang and sizzle.
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

There's a 10ft Santa sitting on someones bay roof at the bottom of my street. :-( thank goodness their house is up for sale.
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Do people have a happier time after bashing holes into their house, climbing ladders in the cold and spending money on such rubbish? Does it add to their quality of life? What's the point of outside lights - you can't see them when you are inside!
I often wonder what the Chinese think of us when they pack the shipping containers of such crap. "Ah ! Britain was once a great industrial nation - now look at what they buy from us"
John (Humbug)

Nothing here compared with the Melbourne suburb of Ivanhoe:
"Lisa Martin, cultural events officer at Banyule Council, says 20,000 to 25,000 sightseers visit the winding Boulevard on the three nights before Christmas. ...
If you can't have a white Christmas," she says, "why not decorate your house?" This year, the decorations include a nativity scene, Santas, elves and reindeer. And, yes, lights. Hundreds of them. ...
Four police are on duty and Banyule Council hires two portable toilets. The council has up to three staff supervising the mass of traffic each night. There's a coffee cart and an ice-cream van which doubles as a fund-raiser for the Ivanhoe Sea Scouts.
That's not to mention the additional entertainment, which this year includes an Italian choir, a brass band, a clarinet trio and gospel singers."
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/12/13/1071125713005.html
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Would Sir perhaps be interested in.... *this*?
http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/Flame%20Thrower.jpg

Its the time of year when the council estate near me - where people can't even keep their gardens tidy during the year suddenly become Xmas Grotto builders. Some even take the crap down before summer comes - to put up the Engerlan flags.
John

Perhaps he could get an entry on this site
http://members.tripod.com/hollyzell/christmas_lights.htm
--

.andy

Chris Bacon wrote:

:-)
An airgun is quite sufficiant thank you.
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

I used to be a crack shot with a catapult. These tasteless zmas decorations stir an urge in me to rediscover that talent.
--

Dave

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I was thinking of getting a few lights and putting them up in my fanlight, but the shop had sold out of the 99p sets and I'm not spending 1.49 on the next size up.

Maybe Santa will be included in the fixtures and fittings.
Owain

Sadly they are unlikely to sell it until after the Christmas period though ;)
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

You need to see what is on/in the garden/over the house opposite our local primary school. :-(
It is not what I would call sociable lighting, but he did raise over seven hundred pounds for charity last year.
Dave

What a negative lot everyone is about a simple and appropriate question.
Either cut the end off thread through and fit a new plus (dispose of the moulded plug carefully as they are lethal if plugged in) or see if there is somewhere it can be threaded in - under the eaves, under the garage door and so on.
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:47:42 +0000 (UTC), "Hzatph"

Hah - caught out! If you do anything so obviously dangerous as wire up 6 volt lights outside the Blur Militia will be down on you straight away. Such an act is illegal and (by order of the fat controller) "dangerous".
Once you cut the plug off the lighting or, heaven forfend, extend the low voltage cable the lighting set is no longer CE approved and can only be installed by a Part P tax paying firm.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Not if you remove the fuse ...
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

These are not for outside use!! but around the inside of the window, does it have a musical device on it?
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
On 6 Dec 2005 05:53:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

Don't bother. Take them back. They are the height of tackiness and bad taste.
--

.andy