Max length of RG6 coax cable ???

Page 2 of 2

Better guess again, cause you're wrong!
Steve Barker wrote:

How's that, again? Maybe a better S/N, but how less loss?

RBM wrote:

Typically coaxial cables with 75W characteristic impedance are used for CCTV video signal transmission. Commonly used cable types are
1. RG 59/U with 22 gauge solid copper inner conductor and bare copper shield (diameter approx. 6mm). Example Belden 9659, 9259 etc. Many types of RG59 cables are available with varying characteristics. Belden 9659 has approximately 3dB/100m attenuation at 10MHz.
2. RG6/U has 18 guage solid copper inner conductor with 7mm diameter and has approximately 2.3dB/100m attenuation at 10MHz.
3. RG11/U Example Belden 8213 with 14 gauge solid copper inner conductor and copper shield (diameter approx. 10mm) has approximately 1.2dB/100m attenuation at 10MHz.
For reasonable video quality, RG59/U can be used up to 250m, RG6/U up to 400m and RG11/U up to 550m. Longer distances can be supported with the help of proper video amplifiers.
(1dB loss refers to a signal loss of approximately 11%; 2dB, approximately 20% and 3dB, approximately 30%.)
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:38:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

OP is asking about an RF application, not a baseband video application. For cable TV, loss figures at 750MHz would be more relevant. I'm not in a position to obtain that info ATM ...
--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net
Art Greenberg wrote:

OK, didn't notice that...
Relative will probably be pretty similar relationship relatively, just a higher loss...
Any way, all needs to do is look at some manufacturer spec's and see where they are. I just pulled that from a quick google...
dpb wrote:

The OP is asking about a broadband not a baseband application.
DA had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Max-length-of-RG6-coax-cable-240106-.htm : RBM wrote:

I think you are going about it from a wrong perspective: I would say that if the cable company still wants your account, then THEY should repair the cable the way they see suitable for providing you with the required signal strength at your end TV connection.
In any case, how are you going to hook your temp cable up to their box, anyways? They will not let you in for sure.
And last but not least, you've had a lightning problem with a buried cable. I cannot stress enough that pulling an aerial run (and maybe even bypassing lightning arrestors as they now may be in a wrong location) is simply inviting MUCH more trouble.
And, no, RG6U is not going to cut it. Neither from the attenuation stand point nor for hookups to the cable company's street cabinet that should be receiving either .500 or RG11.
Good luck!
D~
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ News and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 230149 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
I suppose cable company laws vary from place to place. In this location the cable company wouldn't run the underground, so it was done privately, and they made the connection to their equipment at the pole. With the line blown by lightning we ran a temp RG-6 over the grass 400 feet from the main splitter to the pole and the cable company connected it... it works fine

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Max-length-of-RG6-coax-cable-240106-.htm