Marking tools for easy readability

As I get older, even with new glasses, I find it harder and harder to see things like the engraved markings on socket wrenches. Has anyone found a way to mark these things so that they can be read in dim light by old fogeys? I tried various kinds of Dymo labels, but they peeled off in short order. I had a little better success using Sharpies and then painting over the lettering with clear nail polish.

Any hints, clues, tips, suggestions?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Why don't you get some 4x power reading glasses?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Well, Craftsman or someone addressed this problem with large-etched sockets, for precisely this problem. Heh, 'Boomers Rool!!

That's a bit of an expensive solution, tho, if you already have tools.

You could take a dremel with a round ball stone and engrave this yourself. Or use a std buzz-type engraver. For some reason I prefer the dremel.

The problem with this is, if your sockets/tools are chromed, this will now be a posible entry point for rust.

OTOH, if my impression is correct, most people don't really look for a particular size -- they see what fits, thus making readable markings semi-moot. I'm almost tempted to just mix my SAE with metric!!! Heh, sometimes metric fits better than the SAE on american stuff! The only sizes I "know" are: 7/16" for 1/4-20 nuts/bolts, and 1/2" for

5/16" -- that's it. Ditto allen -- the only size I know is 3/8" for 1/2-13 sockets screws.

Proly much more of an issue: engrave every goddamm tool in the place with yer initials. Then fill that in with brite red nail polish. :) :)

Toward this end, I think I saw a company that will personalize new tools for you -- purchased from them, of course.

And, having said this, if you can find someone with a laser engraver, who is really desperate for work, they might do sumpn for you cheap.

Reply to
Existential Angst

There are paint pens available at hobby/craft stores. Avail. in bright colors, fairly fine tips. I used it only on camera accessories, so don't know how they hold up in workshop wear/tear.

Reply to
norminn

I'm buying magnifying glasses by the bucket full!

I leave them anywhere I might need to read something small.

Reply to
Bill

You got DAT right! Go to yer dollar store -- you can get glasses up to 3.5 mag.... WOW.... 99c Also, they have pretty nice 4" magnifiers, with the high-magnifier inset.

99c . I must have a dozen of each, all over. Ditto the 6-in-1 screwdrivers -- decent quality $2.99 jobbies from Nat. Wholesale Liq.

Yeah, solving the I-cain't-find-it problem with sheer brute force of numbers!! Screw organization!!

Reply to
Existential Angst

I spray stuff with flat black paint then wipe it off so it only remains in the stamped/engraved depressions.

Reply to
dadiOH

-snip-

He said "even with new glasses". They aren't the same as the old eyes-- especially at all distances and in poor light.

I where a headlamp sometimes. It not only sheds more contrasting light, it also focuses attention.

It's a bitch getting old- but it beats *not* getting old.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Use a sharpie marker and after it dries, cover it with clear tape.

Reply to
mike

How so? ;-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

re: "...so that they can be read in dim light by old fogeys?"

Others have already suggested reading and/or magnifying glasses.

I'll suggest turning on a friggin' light! ;-)

(See ya..I'm off to the dollar store for reading glasses and a flashlight.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

One handy device inherited from a dedicated handiperson is a fluorescent lamp with a magnifier in the center. PIA if you need to move it, but the lighting and glasses bit doesn't always work.....my condo has large windows on all sides but the lighting is often not sufficient for older eyes and fine work. New prescription, so that's not an issue.

Reply to
norminn

oted text -

I have a lamp similar to this mounted on my workbench. Mine has a flip- up cover to keep dust off of the magnifying glass.

And yes, I have used it to determine socket size many times!

Also great for removing splinters, especially tiny metal ones.

DerbyDad03

You could possibly notch the vertical face of the most common ones for the types of job that you do using a hacksaw or a cutting disc in a grinder (e.g. 1 notch for 3/8", 2 for 1/2", 3 for 9/16"). Maybe spacing the notches at 90 degree intervals (or 45) will make them far enough apart to avoid ambiguity.

Personally I've found that if I'm using sockets a lot I can just look at a bolt and know what size it is, and look at a socket bit and do the same. I seem to lose that skill if I'm not using them often though, and it all falls apart given a mixture of AF / Whitworth / BSF / Metric sizes (which often applies to old British cars :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Here's a trick. On my last annual visit to the eye doctor, I got a prescription for 2.25 mag contact lenses.

I wear ONE.

I can easily read without glasses (through one eye of course) and I can drive because the magnifying lens doesn't interfere with depth perception even if the objects are a tad fuzzy through that one eye.

The ONLY downside is precision depth perception at arm's length or less. Most of the time it's no problem but in the case of putting teeny gears back inside a ladies antique watch, I drop on a magnifying headset.

These AccuVu constant-wear lenses are good for one-two months and cost about $30 ($27 at Sams) for six. YMMV.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've had fair luck with "Brother p-Touch". It makes a labeling tape similar to a Dymo but very, very thin - it's a thermal printer rather than an embosser. It's advertised purpose is to label file folders and the like. I would think the label's thinness would make it less vulnerable to being knocked loose in the tool box.

Here's an example, although cheaper models are available.

HeyBub

You are the third person in as many months from whom I have heard the one-contact-for-reading trick.

What did your eye doctor say about doing that?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You are the third person in as many months from whom I have heard the one-contact-for-reading trick.

What did your eye doctor say about doing that? === my wife does this. it was prescribed by her optimologist. it's pretty common now.

Reply to
charlie

You might want to try a paint crayon. Here you smush the paint into the engraved markings to improve the contrast. As a locksmith we used these on safe dials.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Use a brand of paint marker.

tnom