marble tabletop

I read a thread about removing rings from a wooden table that said to use mayonaise. I have an old italian marble coffee table that has lost it's sheen. Pledge makes it look ok but I would love to have it shine like new. It's black with pink and gray throughout. What would be the best approach to this? Lemon oil, wax? I thought of that stuff for compounding painted finishes on motorcycles and cars and a soft bufferpad. Think that would scratch it or polish it? I'm looking for ideas here. TIA
Krylon makes a number of products that are not only beautiful, but durable as well. Rust Oleum also has an amazing array of products to choose from. On one commercial, I saw them paint a plastic chair even, and get this - THE PAINT WOULD NOT COME OFF! I think this would be the best bet, say, black, gold, blue or yellow. Then, use some crayons or a chisel to make some squiggles in the paint, it will look JUST LIKE marble when you are done! I saw it on this old house once, so I know it's true.
m Ransley wrote:

You mean, he lost his marbles.
Kathy wrote:

What does the removing rings/wooden table/mayonnaise have to do with your situation? I don't follow you.
Home Depot, or a local tile store, will have stone sealers and enhancers. Some have little effect on the sheen, others give more of a shine. I don't know if I'd mess with the polishing and buffing routine. Marble stains easily, is not easy to polish to a uniform sheen without a lot of effort and you could end up doing more harm than good.
Kathy wrote:

It needs to be refinished and polished in order to restore the shine it had originally. There are refinishing kits/products available at tile stores that may give you what you want.
Or it may need to be ground, honed, and shining by polishing. That is quite a chore.
Matt obviously never saw marble.
Wet diamond or wet sand paper honing is the normal finish for stone. As the grit gets finer and finer it will actually begin to shine. It just begins to shine at 600 grit, I suspect you have a much finer finish than that.
Automotive rubbing compound should not harm the marble. Automotive paste wax (no silicone) may give you the shine you seek.
Seek further advice from a stone supplier in your area. They will also have sealers and polishes made for stone.