Man Steals Electricity With Meat Hook

Page 1 of 2  

This seems unlikely. I would like to hear more details.
http://abcnews.go.com/WaterCooler/wireStory?id 489334
BERLIN (Reuters) - German police are investigating a man for theft after he siphoned electricity off a high-voltage overhead transmission line for one month with the help of an ordinary meat hook, authorities said on Tuesday.
The 36-year old man from Sibbesse in Lower Saxony concocted the plan to steal electricity after the power company cut him off for failure to pay his bills, police said.
The man attached a cable to the meat hook and tossed it onto an overhead power line. He then drew power from the transmission line to his home, located about 150 meters away.
"I've never seen anything like this in my 34-year-career," said Friedrich-Wilhelm Lach, chief executive of regional utility Ueberlandwerke Leinetal GmbH, told Reuters. "It's incredibly dangerous and utterly stupid."
An employee of the utility noticed the meat hook during a routine check. Lach said the man was lucky he is still alive and warned copycats not to try it: "It will kill you," he said.
(Reporting by Christopher Lawton; editing by Paul Casciato)
Copyright 2010 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Maybe he had his own transformer? (Or maybe they're using the term "high-voltage" very loosely?)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 20:29:45 -0700 (PDT), Larry Fishel

Yeah, the latter especially. Some people talk like anything controlled by the electric company is high voltage.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mm wrote:

Motor nomenclature refers to 240VAC as "high voltage". This in reference to 120VAC, of course.
Jon
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 22:50:40 -0700, Smitty Two

Doesn't Harbor Freight sell a combination meat hook / transformer, for just this purpose?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

only $9.95
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thanks, I got a good smile from this comment. I'm sure they do, in some countries.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I doubt that it was 120VAC in Germany...

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Apr 28, 3:05am, "Jon Danniken"

Yeah and too often as 'phases'! Although the two ends of a centre tapped and grounded 240 winding being actually (and most often in domestic service) the two 120 ends of one single phase!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Metspitzer wrote:

He was convicted of the theft and sentenced to death by electrocution. At least perhaps in China, uh, no, they shoot them then harvest their organs for transplants.
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Apr 27, 11:31pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-

Ssssshhh! We have to make nice to them so they'll keep lending us money so we can shovel it out to Goldman Sachs, so their executives can thumb their noses at Congress. Not that Congress is blameless; why did they repeal Glass-Steagel years ago, close their eyes to Wall Street and never pass any regulations to control the mad dog profiteers. "As ye sow, so shall ye reap." Tell that to the people who lost jobs and homes and the schools, parks, and old-age programs that are in the toilet.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Higgs Boson wrote:

It's all the fault of the American people for voting morons into office. One of my grownup girlfriends voted for Bill Clinton because he was pretty, she didn't like the looks of the other candidate, Bob Dole. It's interesting that the bankers are being prosecuted for operating within the law. Greed is not against the law, you can't legislate altruism or morals. We now have our first Affirmative Action President who has already made a huge mess along with the rubber stamp Democrat law makers. No, I'm not a Republican, Republicans disgust me but Democrats are special, they horrify me.
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:44:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Your argument is varying. Not getting into this particular case here, you can legislate against stealing and every place in the world has outlawed many or most kinds of stealing, and at least some people are caught and puinshed for this violation of morals, and I'm sure some people don't steal for fear of the punishment. That seems like legislating morals to me.
Yet, your statement a couple lines earlier that the bankers are being prosecuted for operating within the law. Which are you concerned with, law or morals. That some immoral acts have been outlawed doesn't mean all have, as you point out.
BTW, a lot of people would say that altruism has been legislated. People are taxed, and not just an equal tax per person, but often proportionate** to income, and not a big percentage but some of the money collected is used to help refugees, orphans, the sick and injured, and poor people. Although those who are taxed may not actually be altruistic, hasn't altruism been legilslated. (My webbrowser and dictinoary are unavailable now or I'd look up the def.)
**In some cases more than proportionate, or less than proportionate, to income.

You have no evidence to say that. I'm curious where you think he benefited from affirmative action.

Did you not know the adjective is Democatic? When people; use a noun as if it is an adjective, at least here, they look ignorant or like a 12-year old calling another kid names. Which is it in your case?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mm wrote:

Another confused soul, It's The Democrat Party not the democratic party, there is nothing democratic about The Democrat party. I suppose I'll have to start referring to Republican legislators as repulicanic. To bad you suffer from Liberalism disease, it makes you question the intelligence of anyone who disagrees with you. Bill Clinton was called our first Black President not because of his skin color but because of his behavior. Remember Marion Barry? Did Bill Clinton act more like Mr. Barry or more like Mr. Bush? Obama grew up in the era of Affirmative Action with Caucasian Americans being turned away from employment and higher education in favor of Negro Americans and the dumbing down of The American educational system to make everyone equally stupid because that's the only way to make it fair. That's why a high school graduate of 60 years ago could score higher on a test than a college graduate of today. I am astounded at the ignorance of those who came out of the same educational system that produced Obama. I hope I have some change left when his one term is over. The repair job is going to be a lot bigger and take a lot longer that what Reagan had to contend with.
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 01 May 2010 20:41:24 -0500, The Daring Dufas

So because some blacks beneifitted from affirmative action, you claim Obama did too? You don't give any other explanation for your nonsense charge. Some people bought their houses with VA loans. Does that mean all vets did?
Talk about dumbing down education, where did you go to school?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mm wrote:

It's not a charge you fool, I experienced it. Something attained without earning it is worthless. I've experienced the discrimination against Caucasian Americans and seen people receive preferential treatment just because of the high melanin content of their epidermis. My darker cousins who possess great intelligence despise Affirmative Action because it negates their intellectual achievements in the eyes of others who are less informed of the truth. As far as my own education, it's been my luck to have a very diverse educational background. I've often said I have no fear of terrorists because as a small boy, I had Irish nuns for teachers. I do have this irrational fear of albino penguins.
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]
Sure. I used to work for a company that did meter inventories for Rural Electric Cooperatives.
About once a year they'd find somebody who had tapped into the primaries and fed his own transformer (probably stolen).
More often, they'd find meters upside down (they run backwards) and meters bypassed altogether.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 4/28/2010 6:02 AM, HeyBub wrote:

reversed his meter. I didn't ask him how he justified stealing.
Bill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

OK: Story about a man, (with my apologies to the canny and thrifty race of Scots) who, in, say Glasgow, used to blow down the gas pipe every night before going to bed. He must have had a bagpipe player's lungs!
Eventully the man came from the gas company to read the meter. And was very puzzled!
After reading the meter and doing some calculations and looking in his billing book he scratched his head and announced;
"He didn't undersand it, but the gas compnay seemed to owe the customer seven shillings and sixpence"!
The Apocrypha.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bill Gill wrote:

I looked up the specs on the newer electronic meter I have. It mentions that it counts forward even if it is reversed. I also don't have a meter reader, they can read my meter from the office. I'm certain just removing the meter for even a second or so throws a flag for them to check it. Probably the easiest way to cheat would be to add a shorted winding or so the the current transformer. It's just a toroid with a few hand wired wires running through it. But I'm not that stupid, besides being dishonest, it would be way too easy for them to catch me. With the new meters they monitor usage and would certainly notice a sudden 50% reduction in my usage.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.