Maintaining under the sink filter

I recently purchased a cold water filter for the kitchen. The guy at the plumbing store suggested bleaching the filter housing for about an hour before reinstalling a replacement filter. I haven't gone the filter manufacturers website or called tech support. The instructions on the filter are nil. What have you heard?

I've had two filters in my house for the past 15 years. I've never bleached the housings. I do wipe them out with a paper towel. It is possible that bacteria will grow in the filter over time though. If you want to be safe, give the housing a bleach rinse, but I don't thing you'd gain anything over an hour. I've be afraid that the bleach over time would affect the housing.
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 02:05:38 GMT, "New & Improved - N/F John"

A bleach and water solution, wash well and rinse. An hour is not necessary. Would you suspect a service person would spend and hour bleaching a filter housing? -- Oren

I kind of thought the bleach would get into the plastic housing. I usually wipe out my Britta pitcher after a while.

The clerk obviously knows more than the manufacturer, so you better bleach. I have never done mine, but I like to live dangerously.