Under Sink Water Filter Installation Quest.

Hello:

Wife is after me to put in one of those under sink water filters for the kitchen faucet.

What we have now is a faucet that also has a spritzer hose on the right of the faucet. We never use it.

But, if one did want to use it, one has to turn on the cold water, then, when the lever on the end of the retractable hose is depressed, a diverter valve apparently built into the faucet assembly diverts the water to the spritzer hose.

All the undersink models I've looked at show in their instructions hooking it up to the normal cold water supply line that feeds the faucet. The natural way to do it, obviously.

For a variety of reasons, it seems that it would be a lot easier for me to tap into the spritzer hose line to feed the filter.

This would necessitate turning on the regular cold water faucet, and then depress the on-off handle on the new spigot that would be replacing the spritzer hose (would go in the same hole).

Is this a viable way of doing it ?

Any caveats, other than the fact that the normal cold water valve would also have to be turned on to use ?

Any thoughts on doing it this way ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

It could work, but IMO, it would be a PITA over time. Filling a big pot for iced tea would be time consuming but taking a cup of water for tea is not a big deal.

Any other way to place the filter? Even though it is called an "under sink", it does not have to go under the sink. In my house, the cold water pipe is exposed on the ceiling of the utility area below it. I cut and tapped in there. The filter is mounted on the floor joist for the kitchen.

My thoughts are: My diverter valve is not working properly. Since we rarely use it, I'm not going to take a lot of time to fix it. If it was the source of my drinking water, I'd have to.

I installed the filter 20 years ago. The extra time it took back then is long forgotten in the convenience and being able to drink good tasting water.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Agreed. An under-sink filter doesn't have to go under the sink. We have one (also in the utility room) that feeds the fridge (ice & water), a faucet on the kitchen sink, and one faucet downstairs in the utility room. Someday I'm going to expand it to feed our wet bar (the system was installed by the previous owner).

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Same here, works great, it's a lot easier to reach and doesn't waste any of the under-cabinet space. One tip, write a date on the filter. Either the date you put it in or the date it should be replaced (I use the latter). WRITE IT BIG. This way whenever I'm in the laundry room and glace at it I can't help but notice when it's due for replacement.

Reply to
wkearney99