Main Drain Clog

Calling all plumbing experts!!!
My house is 65 y.o. Currently, there is a small amount of water in my basement. The main sewage drain in the basement floor is partially clogged. I say "partially" because there is water sitting in the drain, the water rises slightly when I run a faucet, but water gushes out when a toilet is flushed.
I have augered in both directions with no results. Water is flowing to this spot, but is having a hard time making it to the street. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!
Phillip944 wrote:

You say you augered, but where? It sounds like the main going out to the street is clogged and what you are seeing is a symptom, not the real problem. There should be a clean out plug on the end of the main where it exits the house. You need to run a snake/auger through there. But be careful. If the drain is still partially flowing, I'd wait as long as possible to let it drain before opening the plug, for obvious reasons.
I just noticed that the vent pipe in the front of the house, by the curb is uncovered. Maybe there is something stuck in there?
On 13 Mar 2006 05:15:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Check with your city too. Mine will clean out the exit drain from the house to the street free of charge twice a year or more often if you have a problem. My besement wasn't flooding but water from the upstairs bath was coming up through the kitchen sink The city uses use an auger or snake on a really big wheel. The last time they did it they pulled out half a green garbage bag full of tree roots. Yuk.
snipped-for-privacy@mcgill.ca wrote:

I second this suggestion. It can't hurt to call the sewer department. I recently went through a basement flooding sewer backup. To make a long story short, after wasting $500 on plumbers who didn't fix the problem and proposed multi-thousand dollar jobs, the city took care of me. Three cheers for public works.
Phillip944 wrote:

Sorry, no easy fix. You will need heavy duty commercial equipment to clean it out.
Do you have trees around your home? If so, and what 65 year old home does not, it is likely roots and the only fix for that is to dig up that section of pipe and replace it making sure all the connections are totally water tight or the roots will soon be back. The roots will not bother pipe that is 100% water tight.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Well another solution to tree roots is way cheaper than a new line. have line snaked and opened.
every 3 months dissolve a 25 pound bag of rocksalt in the wash tub and don right before going out, so the salty water lays in the line.
roots dont like salt, it kills the roots but doesnt hurt the trees.
cheap too, and this is early spring I will do mine as soon as the washer is donre running