Material for raised bed gardens?

Hi folks, I'm getting ready to install some raised beds for my vegetable gaden, and was wondering if anyone had any recomendations for what to use? I know about all the problems with PT, so I was hoping to avoid it. I plan to make them about 3x6, with 4x4 corner posts (the sides will be morticed into the corners for strength). They will be 10 to 12 inches deep. I was thinking of using white cedar, but I don't know of it will hold up (I don't want the sides to bow out)....

I guess I could just use plain old 2x12, but I don't know how well it will hold up over time. I'm located in New Hampshire, so it will be exposed to cold wet freezing conditions....

thanks a lot

--JD

Reply to
jd

If you use wood other than pressure treated it sure isn't gonna last very long. What's the big deal with PT, it's commonly used everywhere by everybody else. The other alternative is to use a product like garden wall blocks, which can be stacked up and will never rot. They are carried by companies that sell pavers.

Reply to
trader4

TREATED WOOD FOR VEGGIES IS A BAD IDEA! The preseratives leach out of the wood and can end up in the food.

cancer can result....

Many years ago I built one of regular wood it lasted over 10 years, by that time it had outlived it usefulness...

using precast concrete stackable blocks is probably the best bet. or use regular wood and know it will rot eventually.

I see a future for treated wood just like asbestos. The EPA is already warning to keep kids from under decks because the chemicals are concentrated there.

one day guys in moon suits will be removing the green wood hazard.

incidently it doesnt last forever I have some on my front porch thats literally disappearing.....

totally gone thats this summer project

Reply to
hallerb

You definitely do NOT want to use PT. A friend came up with an interesting alternative. There's synthetic decking material - looks like wooden planks. He simply doubled these to make the walls of his raised beds. He then ripped some pieces into 4" strips, and tripled them to make the posts that go into the ground and support the walls. Worked fine.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That is the key idea. These raised beds don't have to last forever. You'll want to change your garden layout before the wood rots. I just use standard lumber and haul it to our community bonfire after a couple of years of use. I wouldn't even begin to consider using pressure treated wood near food crops.

Luc

Reply to
Lucid

Do not use PT lumber for a veggie garden.

In addition to the good suggestions already given there are several brands of composite material made specifically for veggie gardens. Some are composite materials that come in 4 x 4 x 8 demissions. The can be cut with a standard circular saw but will reek havoc on blades. Not sure if you watch This Old House on PBS but they recently did a segment on this very topic. They profiled a half dozen alternatives to PT. There is one material that is made from reclaimed tires.

Reply to
jerryrigged

Old tires. PA gas stations will pay you $1 each to take them away.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Cedar won't last?

What's the big deal with PT, it's commonly used everywhere

Reply to
FDR

You're in NH. Use rocks.

Reply to
Goedjn

About 10 years ago, we built raised beds out of ordinary 2x12's. Didn't use anything in the corners, just nailed them together. Ours were 2ft X 6ft. After about 5 years the corners started coming apart, but the wood was still good enough for a few more years. We're in central Michigan.

Web Site:

David Starr

How about wood pallets. If they rot away, hey they didn't cost anything.

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace