Looking for info on granite tile countertops

I would love to replace my laminate kitchen countertops with slab granite, but that's just not an option. I've been reading a little bit about using granite tile on countertops, but I can only find enough information to whet my appetite. More importantly, I can't find photos anywhere. Would love to hear your experiences, and see any photos you might know of that are available online. My concerns are - is it going to look like a grid? Are perfectly flat (not bevelled at the sides) tiles available?

Thanks! Tracy

Reply to
Tracy

i used them for the same reason.

yes, it will look like a grid. i've never seen nonbeveled ones. i suppose you could cut or grind them off, but why?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

All tile requires grout lines.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Do you accept tile look or solid surface. Solid is easier to care for.

Reply to
m Ransley

I would avoid tile myself there are some great deals right now on Granite and other quartz surfaces. With tile you have the hardness of Granite but no the wear protection as the grout becomes a weak point for liquids. If you do go for tile make sure you keep spare pieces as well as grout should you have to replace something later on, if you live in a high humidity area I would recommend vacuum sealing the grout so it does not harden over time!

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Wayne says to " VACUME - SEAL" grout

What a bunch of Bilge Scumb.........

Reply to
m Ransley

Spell checker does not catch them all. you have never had a bag of grout or concrete harden on you?

having spare grout is as important as spare tiles. Sealing the grout bag will help stop moisture from hardening the grout if you live in a humid area

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Is that your kitchen? It's gorgeous!

I want a flat surface. Yours looks flat to me - are the tiles actually beveled on the edges?

Reply to
Tracy

I put ceramic tile on my countertops (kitchen and bath), and havent' had any problems. For the most part, any serious choppign and cutting is going to be done on a cutting board anyway.

Keeping some spare tiles is always a good idea; I've always kept half a case of floor or wall tile, even the cheap 4" wall tile because you never know if the coloring will match 10 years later.

I just checked the granite tile pics. I really like how that came out.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Accuosti

thanks. my wife and i designed our house.

i did all the tiling in the house myself. i worked really heard to make a flat surface. even still, there's a couple of places that plates wobble on that i keep telling myself i'll rip up one day. it helps to have a really flat underlayer. i used a cement bed for these counters. here's another picture from after appliance installation that shows how flat it turned out.

all granite tiles that i have seen have a microbevel on the edge. i set these at 1/32", but the bevel makes the apparent grout look wider.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer