Looking for antique brass toggle light switch

Page 2 of 2

bud-- wrote:

Perhaps...as I noted previously if they can be taken apart that's certainly an option.
The old push-buttons here can be indeed but the assembly screw are in the rear and are in the corners--the asymmetry of those locations makes me wonder if that is their purpose. Not saying it isn't, just don't know...given the age it is probable they are able to be taken apart; particularly since looking at the picture again I do notice the color difference between the front and the rest of the case--looks like on these maybe only the front is actually ceramic the rest might be another material similar to an early Bakelite, perhaps???
I'd like to have a bunch of 'em, I could probably get away w/ using them whereas swmbo says emphatically "no" to putting the pushbuttons back. :(

I think you're going to have a problem with wires. It's that cloth covered rubber insulated stuff. Its a bitch to work with when its that old. The rubber just cracks and falls off. My house was built in the late 50s and every time I open a box up, the insulation falls off the wires.
I hate that stuff!
homer wrote: ...

Who you talkin' to???
The house here was rewired when the pushbutton switches I'm ruing were removed w/ nmc.
OP's pictures do show that, yes, and he's already commented he didn't move the existing switches out of the box for that reason at least until mandatory.
There is a fair amount of cloth wiring still on the place in various locations--I just added a junction in one box in the car garage for an opener. It went ok w/ care but only took pulling two additional 14's in the conduit and connecting them to the existing junction at a box on the ceiling that already fed the light and outlet.
The older rubber is worse than the cloth generally, agreed since it does get so brittle.

I just saw those pictures of the switches and shuddered. I hate that wire.
My house is filled with it. I've pretty much got heat shrink tubing on every pigtail in every box and am slowly replacing it.
homer wrote:

Hmm, my house was built in the late 40's and the wiring is an early form or romex with a cloth outer cover, but the individual conductors are plastic insulated. It's held up surprisingly well! So apparently the two different styles were produced concurrently for a number of years, not sure why everyone didn't immediately recognize the superiority of plastic insulation immediately?
Now where BX was used, it's cloth covered rubber which hasn't aged as well, but I haven't had issues with that (yet) and those runs are easy to replace when I do (exposed in basement)
If you do go with pushbuttons the cover plates for those are all over the place on eBay, no need to buy expensive reproductions. I've been watching eBay for toggle (normal modern style) switch and receptacle cover plates; I like the old .040" or thicker pressed brass ones with the nice crisp bevels, you can't buy new ones like that unless you pay "reproduction" prices. The ones in your local hardware store are likely brass plated steel, and the edges are all rounded. Unfortunately for me the toggle switch ones are apparently much harder to find.
Now is where I start kicking myself - maybe a year or two ago I was looking through the electrical stuff at an architectural salvage place and picked up a couple cases of spec grade toggle switches, and found cases and cases of the good old brass double toggle switch plates. I looked and looked for the ones I actually needed and didn't find any. In retrospect, I should have bought all of them and put them on eBay three or four at a time, but I just don't think like that (I should learn though...)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote: ...

Just maybe it had to do with it's age that's the problem which somehow seems to conflict w/ the idea of "immediately recognize"???? (wry :) )
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:24:46 -0500, "Paul"

I just googled "antique brass toggle switches" and got quite a few hits.
Here's one that looks pretty close
http://www.cedecor.co.uk/cheshire_electrical_decor/mia/d/antique+brass+1+gang+10+amp+toggle+switch/pid/6746125 #
I assume you're in the UK.
homer wrote:

http://www.cedecor.co.uk/cheshire_electrical_decor/mia/d/antique+brass+1+gang+10+amp+toggle+switch/pid/6746125 #
The switches in the OP's pictures are definitely of American origin. The mounting ears and screws would fit todays American switch boxes. I've seen a lot of old porcelain insulated electrical devices but not that particular item. I've seen the same sort of porcelain switch but it had the squared off toggle handle.
TDD
On Thu 19 Nov 2009 11:24:46a, Paul told us...

early

I don't think you'll ever find anything like this in the U.S. However, similar switches are in current use in the U.K. You might be able to modify your mounting to accomodate such a switch(s). They are rated at the U.K.'s higher voltage, so should not be an electrical problem here.
<http://www.tlc - direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Toggle_Switches_All/i ndex.html>

On Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:24:46 PM UTC+2, Paul wrote:

Hi Paul . You can contact me on snipped-for-privacy@amcgerman.co.za .We sell the switches you are looking for .
On 10/21/2013 10:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Nov 2009 -- you think he's still looking?

Them brass switches can be tough to find. 4 years and couple of continents away.
sell the switches you are looking for .<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; Nov 2009 -- you think he's still = looking?<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; .<BR>&gt;&gt; Christopher A. Young<BR>&gt;&gt; = Learn about Jesus<BR>&gt;&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><A href="http://www.lds.org "><FONT face="Calisto MT">www.lds.org</FONT></A><BR><FONT face="Calisto MT">&gt;&gt; .<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Them brass switches can be tough to find. 4 years and = couple of continents<BR>&gt; away.<BR>&gt;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 11:11:17 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Of course. He wants them even more now. Do you know what it's like to spend 4 years in the dark?

On 10/22/2013 9:28 AM, micky wrote:

Please delete the signature box, which isn't yours, below your text.
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:32:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon

A great feature of most news readers: If you put a line, at the start of your signature, that starts with 2 hyphens and one blank space, and has nothing else, like so
--
my software will automatically delete that line and what follows,

Wrong, you need a <cr><lf> after the space.
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:17:02 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Ok, thanks. That's equivalent to pressing Enter after the blank space.

But you can't have anything else between the single ' ' and the <cr><lf>.

LOL! Thanks I needed that this morning.