$19.02 for a toggle switch!

Greetings,

I just paid $19.02 for an over/under 20A toggle switch. Where, if anywhere, can I go to find such items at a significant discount?

Thanks, William

Reply to
William.Deans

over/under toggle switch? Do you mean a stacked switch? two switches on that fit into a single device location? Specialty devices have always been expensive. try google.

Reply to
SQLit

Greetings,

Yes, I mean a stacked switch.

17%20%20Over%20Under%2020A%20Toggle%20Switch/overUnder20AmpT oggle.jpg

or

The writing on the top of the box is hard to read: " COMBINATION DEVICE TWO SINGLE POLE SWITCHES SIDE WIRED

20A-120/277V AC "

Froogle.com-ing for the part number and Leviton yields one result

18.40+tax+s&h

I am just tired of spending $100's on this type of item $20 at a time when I know they can't cost much more than $1 to produce. I would even rather purchase 100 of them at $3 each and use them elsewhere than buy two at $20.

William

Reply to
William.Deans

If you are talking about stacked switches used for normal 15 or 20 amp circuits, they shouldn't be much more than a normal switch. I bought several way back when at not much over single switch price IIRC, definitly not outrageous.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Radio Shack :)-

There are literally thousands of toggle switches. There probably is a cheaper one but with a lack of specs I couldn't even guess what you want. Ty

and
both electronics components distributors have decent websited for searching.

Over/Under is not a technical term used to describe any switch I have ever seen. Do you mean dual switch handles or DPDT contacts

Reply to
PipeDown

Greetings Harry,

Could you give me a number or URL where I can buy a stacked 20A toggle switch "not much over single switch price"?

Thanks a lot, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Sorry. That was years ago. I was in the local hardware store today but didn't think to check prices on them.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

While it is only a 15 amp rated dual switch, Lowes list one that is a "custom look" for $ 11.88. I wold think they would have a plain one for less.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Bob(but not that Bob)

Was in the local hardware store today. They had 2. $10 and $12 something. For the life of me I don't see why they should be so high when a regular one is in the $1.00 to $2.00 range. Maybe my memory isn't as good as it once was.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Greetings,

The site currently appears to be having trouble but I will check them out again later (hopefully) once they are working.

William

Error Message: ===========================

Error Occurred While Processing Request The request has exceeded the allowable time limit Tag: cfoutput

The error occurred in /var/www/html/header.cfm: line 8

6 : 7 : 8 : #DateFormat(now(), "mmm. dd, yyyy")# 9 : 10 :

Please try the following:

  • Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are using the correct syntax. * Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.

Browser Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050720 Fedora/1.0.6-1.1.fc3 Firefox/1.0.6 Remote Address 70.110.138.111 Referrer

22-Aug-05 12:10 AM Stack Trace at cfheader2ecfm409204624.runPage(/var/www/html/header.cfm:8) at cfcatresults2ecfm1806654655.runPage(/var/www/html/catresults.cfm:223)

coldfusion.runtime.RequestTimedOutException: The request has exceeded the allowable time limit Tag: cfoutput at coldfusion.tagext.io.OutputTag.doStartTag(OutputTag.java:148) at cfheader2ecfm409204624.runPage(/var/www/html/header.cfm:8) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:152) at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:343) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._emptyTag(CfJspPage.java:1908) at cfcatresults2ecfm1806654655.runPage(/var/www/html/catresults.cfm:223) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:152) at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:343) at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65) at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:210) at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:51) at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:86) at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:50) at coldfusion.filter.BrowserDebugFilter.invoke(BrowserDebugFilter.java:52) at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28) at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38) at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38) at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22) at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:105) at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:78) at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:91) at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42) at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:257) at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:527) at jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:204) at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:349) at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:457) at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:295) at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)

Reply to
William.Deans

out again later (hopefully) once they are working.

Reply to
Rob Mills

They sell a gazzillion 15A switches - how many 20A do you think people need? Supply and demand.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Yes, I need a 20A rating. The switch is for a duplex receptacle.

I am happy to purchase a builder/residential grade 20A switch.

The cost of manufacturing is probably very low in comparison to the final price. Either I am being price gouged or there is a tremendous amount of inefficiency somewhere along the way.

I did. The link to that information is:

The fuzzy text is typed in elsewhere in my second post.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Greetings,

I spoke to the tech guy at

and apparently they are in some sort of effort to redo certain portions of the site. (It is up now). THANKS A LOT for letting me know about them. Their prices are very good and I will surely order from them many times -- unless someone can point me to a site cheaper.

Thanks, William

Reply to
William.Deans

You do point out that this is rated for 20A Do you really NEED 20A rating ?

Most "home" devices are only 15A rated, so this must be a heavy duty/industrial/vapor proof/hospital grade switch, and is nothing like the crap in most houses as far as quality

As such it's not that outrageous to pay that much.

Even a crappy builder grade 15A stacked switch will be $5.00 or more

post the actual manufacturer's name and the part number so we can tell if you got a deal or not.

Reply to
Amun

There is inefficiency along the way. It's basic economics. As another poster seemed to indicate, the less units produced the higher their cost. Not only for the mfgr but further on in the supply chain until it gets to you. Sure there is a markup on everything, and in this case the one 20A switch that sat for six months displaced the 20 other 15A switches that would have moved if the space were available. And the market will obviously bear what you paid.

Reply to
sleepdog

If you will provide a 20% increase in US refining capacity tomorrow you'll see the markets drop overnight as well.

Oh, you say they won't let you build there? Welcome to the problem...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

According to the link that switch is that much. And note in the description "commercial grade"

you simply pay more for those, mainly because they are heavier duty and not that popular. And the fact is those stacked switches are not that popular even in 15A. .....you get a better quality switch, but if price is an issue do you really need it

while you still say you need 20A you also say it's for a duplex outlet.

But what kinds of loads do you plug in there ?

What gauge wire is hooked up to the switch /outlet #14 or #12 ?

what rating is the panel breaker on that circuit. ?

Not that it matters but you would really panic if you priced out some of the "hospital grade - vapor sealed- stuff"

Reply to
Amun

Actually, that's the problem as the Saudi Oil Minister pointed out...producing more oil won't help the US because we couldn't process it any faster even if they did...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth