Looking at Cable TV options

Page 2 of 4

Only if you allow it to. I choose to laugh at it instead. The same goes for the financial-entertainment stations.

Don't care if they do or not. Why would it matter? Are they going to catch something?

That's what the mute button, the channel changer and the DVR are for.

They have so-called "pro-gay" books at my library. Should I take my kids' library cards away?

You really have to look at what they offer. In this area we have comcast, fios and satellite. FIOS gives the best signal, comcast doesn't have enough bandwidth and has to compress the signal, although I'm not sure most people would notice. Verizon gives some channels for free that Comcast charges for and the other way around. The speed channel is free on FIOS but Comcast its part of a paid package. I had Dish network, it wasn't too bad, I lost the signal in bad weather but it was still ok. When you order movies on dish you can't just watch it anytime you want, it runs at a certain time since it is satellite. With Comcast and FIOS you can purchase a movie and watch anytime you want. I think Comcast has a better on-demand selection than FIOS, FIOS has better internet service (not shared like comcast). Dish and FIOS had a International Japanese channel that Comcast didn't have (my wife is japanese, so this was important).

I got a library just so I could remotely access the online databases. I can find about 80% of the medical journal articles I need in addition to about 30 others.
--
To find that place where the rats don\'t race
and the phones don\'t ring at all.
RicodJour wrote:

I didn't ask for EVERY book, I only asked for common reference works.

The library in Berkely doesn't RENT tools, they LOAN them - like books. If there were a similar situation in Arkansas - and I lived in Arkansas - I WOULD borrow the tool from them because there wouldn't be any tool rental places left in business!
My objection centers around a government entity in competition with private business. The tool-loaning endeavor by the city of Berkely (by whatever spelling) could be the death of party-supply rentals (need 200 folding chairs for a garden wedding? just borrow them from the city - and by the way, you can borrow a tux too). How about car rentals? Trailers/trucks? (Goodbye U-Haul) Small aircraft? get a city-owned Cessna for the week-end. Gas prices too high? Just fill up at the city-owned, non-profit pumps! Want an ice-cream cone? just visit the city's Two Flavors On A Stick stand. And so on.

Not hardly. Assuming his licensed doesn't have too many black marks, he just fills out a form, pays his money and is licensed with no problems. The teachers don't work like that. Even your renowned surgeon couldn't teach.

--
To find that place where the rats don\'t race
and the phones don\'t ring at all.

Just knowing physics doesn't mean someone has any idea how to teach it. My best teachers didn't just know the subject; they knew kids. They knew how to interest us and motivate us. It wasn't easy by any means, and we were far from difficult students. Go and try to teach a class of hormone saturated kids some time. You don't remember what it was like when a substitute teacher walked in?

If she was one of the hot ones - yeah, I remember it clearly.
dgk wrote:

But the converse is also true: just knowing HOW to teach - without knowing the subject - generates the same results.
In my state it is possible to be "certified" to teach high school mathematics without ever having taken a university course in Calculus.
Consider, too, the retired PhD Chemical engineer. Is there any doubt he couldn't teach high school chemistry off the top of his head? As for experience, he has what, 20+ years as a student and, in most graduate programs, 3-5 years of teaching undergraduates.
He's a hell of a lot more qualified than the PE coach.

You don't know that for sure, he may be qualified. But that does not make teacher special. None of those mentioned is allowed to turn on the boilers in my plant either, nor are 99,99%+ of all teachers. Or be a hairdresser. Meet the qualifications, pay the fee and you are good to go.
wrote Re Re: Looking at Cable TV options:

Well said.
And join NetFlix if you really want to watch movies. The selection is astounding.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Thanks - apparently I've ruffled a few feathers.
As for netflix, you're absolutley right, except I've been using BB.
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:14:21 -0700, "charlie"

Thank You.
desgnr wrote:

With cable, they can fold in other services at a slight discount.
Our basic cable internet service often hits 7Mbs download (usually about 4-5Mbs).
You can also get VoIP telephone service (we have two lines). Before VoIP, our long distance bill (at 3/minute) was always over $200 month. All that went away for a flat monthly fee.
HeyBub wrote:

backup. VOIP, when it is working okay, is fine, but the infrastructure for cable TV isn't too storm-tolerant.
-- aem sends...
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:30:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It's not set up right then. If you have a business class SDSL, with QoS enabled in the router there should be no reason it wouldn't work. Assuming the calculations were done right.
It may be a "supplier problem", but VOIP is tried and true. It's here to stay.

I think it all depends on where you are. I have cable and routinely hit 11 or 12 Mb/sec download speeds. It's been as high as 15. Upload is usually in the 2 to 3 Mb/sec. This is on Optimum Online with the basic cable - no premium paid for.
I have limited experience with satellite, but what I have had has been frustrating. Dishes knocked out of alignment by weather (huh?) and weather interfering with reception. When you call customer service, the first thing they ask is if there is bad weather in your area.
RicodJour wrote: ...

I've been frustrated by the contract terms -- I'd never even consider signing such an one-sided and open-ended document as any I've seen...
RicodJour wrote:

I recently repaired a customer's computer and straightened out his Hughes Net satellite internet system. After spending hours on the phone with India based tech support, I was finally connected with American based tech support and was able to convince the tech what the problem was and was able to get another modem shipped out. The replacement modem gives my customer 1.2m down and 250k up which is what I got years ago when DSL first became available around here.
TDD

How many times did you say Excuse me/What? because you could not understand them?

customer service center in Atlanta. (g)