Looking at Cable TV options

Page 1 of 4

What is best ? Comcast Cable TV or Satellite TV If Satellite which provider is best deal ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

The one you don't choose.
desgnr wrote:

Look beyond the initial offering and find what you will have to pay long term. I'm with Comcast and when initial offers expire you can renegotiate and get their current initial offers. Verizon fios will not allow this.
With satellite, I understand signal fades in stormy weather and their internet is not good.
Frank wrote:

It doesn't fade, it disappears. And the storm need not be where you are.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

cuts in and out is a more accurate description

It has to be close enough, between the ground receiver and the sattelite, in geosynchronous orbit along the equator. The storm has to be in the sky where the dish is pointed.
desgnr wrote:

Best? There is no best. They all give you a jillion stations most of which no one in their right mind ever watches and all of which are loaded to the gills wih commercials. And at an inflated price *because* they are giving you all that junk.
Why can't we pay a basic fee for service and then pick and choose the channels we want?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I'm still pissed at how they have put a lock in what equipment (theirs which is crap) you can use to record digital programming.
AZ Nomad wrote:

So far, I haven't had that problem. My computers digital tuners work fine.

Here in AZ with cox cable, they encrypt everything that isn't available over the air. I don't want to rent their shitty DVR. I've connected my DVR to record OTA and now just have analog cable. It's ironic how the snowy channels are only what I get over the cable.
AZ Nomad wrote:

It's actually encrypted, not just QAM encoded? I have worrieds that they might take that step, but haven't seen it so far.

Why can't you use a DVR like TIVO with the cable box? TIVO uses an IR transmitter to change the channel on the cable box, so it works just fine. TIVO is the best I've seen and far superior to the crappy recorder that Cablevision offers. I'm wondering if TIVO has some patents that prevent others from implementing a similar interface, channel guide and capability? Otherwise, yoo would think the other companies would have fixed their crap by now.
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:22:16 -0600, AZ Nomad

I'm wondering how they do that. I can record hi-def digital TV programs on my PC which has an inexpensive tuner.

My local cable company encrypts everything that isn't available over the air.
Order HBO and try recording that over your inexpensive tuner and then get back to me.
Phisherman wrote:

Likely you can record SD not HD. They can instantly stop you from doing it by encrypting the content. Don't expect things to get better because the hollywood types are big liberals and tell Obama what they want.

Yes, of course. Those mean old liberals are running all the corporations doing everything to maximize their profits.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Pretty much. Greedy people aren't unique. One of the worst places I was ever employed used to be decent until a big time liberal (one of Clintons golf buddies) bought it. We turned a decent buck over to the previous owner and it was a great place to work.
One of the first things the new owner did is try to save money by bullying folks who had health issues/personal issues "on paper". Meaning suppose someone had a health problem and a was an asset to the company and they needed to take time off for treatments etc we simply covered for them. The new owner issued a ruling than we couldn't do that and anyone with such absences needed to be thrown under the bus. Same was true of caregivers. We had a couple really good workers who were caring for elderly parents etc and would sometimes need to leave for a short time during the day etc. We had to throw them under the bus. Then the proclamation was made that there were no more sick days. Taking time off for sickness was a really bad thing. Next our average health insurance plan was diluted to almost worthless to save money.
Previously folks on salary would work as much as necessary during a big project. New owner demanded we needed to throw 20% of the employees under the bus no mater what and everyone had to work a minimum of two extra hours each day for free and also come in on Saturday for free. Soon that was extended to mandatory Sundays for free.
I reported to our VP who was often invited to lavish decadent no money spared parties in NYC hosted by the new owner.
Eventually it all imploded. Folks (including me) couldn't stand working for the greedy POS and they left. A few years later I heard there were some sizable awards made to the various folks who were bullied because of health and family problems.

A new owner brings change. It may not be palatable, but this is the way of the world.
RicodJour wrote:

Absolutely, but you totally missed my point. We are supposed to thing og liberals ans wonderful and caring for their fellow man and conservatives as evil. Reality is it doesn't matter.

I didn't miss you point. You related an anecdote of a single situation. I generalized.
Search for "two types of people" in my posts and you'll have my view on the matter.

The best choice is none.
The (entertainment) "news" they put on is propagandized disinformation that will lower your knowledge of the world.
The "entertainment" they put on is offal heavily laced with pro-gay messages. Do you want your kids watching that?
The advertising is even stupider and more offensove than what's on broadcast.
Get a library card and save $50 a month.