Lint at exterior Dryer Vent

Looking for some information regarding lint build-up on the grate covering the exterior exhaust for my dryer.
Since changing over from the flexible tube to the straight metal pipe, I have had to go outside and remove the lint that has built up on the screen covering the dryer exhaust about every 10 days or so. I am hesitant to just remove the grate covering from the exhaust because it is supposed to keep out any critters while the dryer is operating and holding the cover open.
Is this common? Is there a reasonable fix? Has this question already been posted somewhere and I missed it?
Thanks- Jack
Hi,

Remove it...they are normally more trouble than they are worth!

The screens getting clogged up?....yes!
That's all the lint that would have collected in the flex duct - reducing efficiency & providing fuel load for a fire. I check the filter in the dryer and clean my outside cage. TB
Jack R. wrote:

I use hardware cloth (3/8" mesh) to cover the roof exhaust. It keeps out animals and doesn't get clogged very often.
Animals don't get in while the dryer is keeping the door open, no animal worth its salt will approach the hot, wet wind that is smelling of washing chemicals and softener. They get in when the dryer is NOT working by opening the door (I have seen birds do this) and climbing in and building a nest. They can build a nest in a day, and totally block the duct.

just
been
Jack R. wrote:

Now that you got rid of that junk duct, the current one is allow much more velocity and it is likely cleaning out built up line in the system (this will reduce in time). You also may want to check your dryer's lint trap, make sure it is OK.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It\'s Irish Math

Just for what it's worth, screens on dryer vents are a code violation. For this very reason.
Dan