Lifting metal to ceiling

Page 1 of 2

If I install metal on my ceiling inside my garage, some of the sheets may be 16 foot long. Is there something I could build or come up with to install these myself?
A drywall installer frame possibly, or rent one of those lifting baskets that come on a small chassis, allow you to operate one-handed and balance the panels on the basket as you rise. JR Dweller in the cellar
stryped wrote:

The 2' x 12' corrugated panels are easy enough to handle alone on a stepladder. My father installed sheetrock on ceilings by himself after I left for college by making tee-shaped braces from strapping, slightly longer than the floor-ceiling distance. He leaned one against a wall and slid the sheetrock up onto the top, then lifted the other end and wedged a second brace under it. Then he readjusted the one at the wall.
I'd consider attaching them to a light framework hinged at the walls and latched in the center, so you have access afterwards. They should be short enough to hand vertically, otherwise you can't put a ladder everywhere. In the center you can have two widths permanently attached and still be able to reach in to wire a light fixture in the middle.
I built the roof overhanging my deck that way, suspended from large strap hinges attached to the rafters. The plastic panels won't support my weight but the screws are easy to install or replace when the roof hangs vertically. The outer support posts are attached with loose-pin hinges top and bottom.
On my 6 panel shed roof the 2nd and 5th panels are removeable hatches so I can reach every point on the roof while standing on the framework inside. The top tucks under the ridge cap.
jsw

Wont the t shaped braces not work because the metal "bends"? It does not stay straight like drywall.

I haven't seen 16' ones but 12' 29 ga corrugated panels don't sag that much. I shuffled three of them on and off a roof several times last week. They can be lifted with one hand in the middle.
Given a choice the 8' ones are easier, the corners bend if they accidentally hit anything which is hard to avoid indoors.
jsw

Drywall doesn't stay straight. I don't know where you got that idea.
You're installing corrugated metal right? It'll stay just as straight as drywall.
The T-shaped braces are called "dead men." Singlular is "dead man."

[...]

If you need to force the middle up, can't you just add a third brace once the sheet is basically in position?
Frank McKenney
--
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out
of focus. -- Mark Twain

YOU could, Frnak; This fellow doesn't think like that. If it bends, it bends. If it buckles, it gets screwed up to the ceiling with a buckle- mark.
Someone mentioned to him about using two dead-men to support a sheet, so another dead-man wouldn't even come to mind.
LLoyd
It appears that you had a typing error, while setting up your usent account, Frnak.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Here in the middle of the country we call the guy next door to help for a while and then set out some cold ones to celebrate success. On the left and right coasts people aren't like that so you might just nail a bailing wire loop across the rafters to hold one end while you tack up the other end. Panels are light enough that even SWMBO could lift and hold one end easily. It's really not at all a big deal.
Joe

We still are in NH. Maybe we don't have enough coastline.
jsw
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:47:06 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins

That ain't a coastline, it's a fair sized beach. <g> The town I live in has considerably more shorefront than NH.
But we still help our neighbors here in Maine as well.
--
Ned Simmons

Yes we do...Midcoast area near the moon bat haven of Belfast here...You ??

Yeah, right, the fly-over states. Not exactly where anyone chooses to live. However, since you are so jammed up against your neighbors, I guess you could easily conscript/beg for help. The only "plus" I can think of for living in flat-no-ocean-world. Those of us closer to the coasts have a bit more room and, if we're lucky, can neither see nor know our neighbors. I hope to doG you're not in Ohio. I've been there. Scary. Mostly because of the freaks who live there, but still.

I think it is more of rural versus urban thing as opposed to just fly over country....FWIW...

Harpswell.
What's with the moonbats? I thought Belfast was going upscale now that the chicken plants are gone.
--
Ned Simmons

Yea , upscale town full of liberals who fight any and all development and has the highest unemployment in the area..It looks run down with over grown lots with commercial land for sale signs that have been there for YEARS.The downtown is nothing but art and photo galleries , book stores and stores like The Purple Baboon and about 10 empty store fronts...LOL...They fight any and ALL development including building a new sheriff's office that is in an old run down house...LOL...Right now they are considering spending 8 million on a Performing Arts Center on the waterfront in the never ending quest to be another Camden only with no rich folks to fund it...Rockland is cashing in BIG time on the anti-business climate in Belfast , getting Lowes , Home Depot and Wal-Mart that Belfast banned and MANY other jobs that offshoot from it...The downtown is booming as well despite the doom and gloomers talk of them killing the downtown....The Rockland Wal-Mart is the most profitable one in the state and the reason is that everyone in Belfast now works and shops in Rockland and to a lesser extent Bangor...Belfast is on it's way to being a over taxed ghost town full of old hippy trust funders with hobby businesses in the summer..There was a big event in Belfast last weekend called "The Free Range Music Festival"...Need I say more ?? LOL
Joe wrote the following:

Here on the right coast, I'm the guy next door.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Stryped, your best bet for hanging those is to pour concrete up to about 18" from the ceiling. Then you can just slide the sheets into the remaining gap, slide yourself under them, and screw them up. Very little danger of them buckling -- they'll take an 18" bend, end-to-end over 16 feet with no problem.
Afterwards, just jackhammer all the concrete out, and you've got a finished ceiling. Or you could use dirt to fill it up, if you don't want to rent the jackhammer.
But why are you using "short sheets"? That stuff can be custom-cut in any length up to about 48'-50'. The fabricators roll-form and shear it in a continuous operation from flat roll stock. Your 30' span is neither too long to hang, nor too long to transport on a decent flat-bed. You could do the whole 30x30 with ten pieces. You'll use up extra metal (waste it) if you have to overlap end joints. And you'll have all those ugly lap joints showing.
LLoyd
stryped wrote:

Place a large electromagnet on the floor under where you want the panel, energise the magnet. If the panel stays on the floor, swap the polarity of the magnet.