Lifetime guarantee

Page 1 of 2
Are these things worth it?
Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got a pin hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to return it. They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for about 6 years, of course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I didn't need it anyways.
Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it here, you told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the manufacturer, and you'll need your receipt.
Fool me once........................

I hate taking things back... and may shop elsewhere, and fix the hole with some ... duct tape?

You da man!!!
Larry K. wrote:

If you buy something with a lifetime guarantee, and don't save the receipt and guarantee statement, what do you expect? Sears has been pretty good to me on their hand tools. If it's obviously theirs, no receipt is needed.

Was it one of the black rubber hoses marked 'Craftsman' on one of the fittings? If so they should have exchanged it on the spot. If it wasn't a 'Craftsman', they might be right.
I bought a Craftsman hose many years ago, and have exchanged it more than a few times now
I've also been taking back loads of broken/worn out hard (commercially) used craftsman hand tools... often weekly since the 70's and rarely get any guff off them. Problems usually occur with new employees who haven't been properly trained.
Another issue is mission 'critical' items we need replaced, but are out of stock. This necessitated the purchase of a few dupes for use as spares.
That warranty has saved me untold tens of thousands of dollars through the years... it's a good deal.
Be aware, there are limitations, power and most cutting tools aren't included... however, strangely enough cold chisels and punched are! Read the warranty info and ask questions before you buy if in doubt.
Erik
Erik wrote:

I seem to recall Sears handing out ratchet rebuild kits at one time whenever a customer brought a Craftsman ratchet back.
TDD
"The Daring Dufas" wrote:

They tried to give me a USED ratchet when I brought my broken one in. The used one barely worked as well.
I asked to speak to a manager, and after a lot of arguing, ended up with a new replacement.
Jon

They tried that on my once a long time ago. I asked for the manager and told him that when I purchased the ratchet I didn't purchase it in kit form and expected them to repair or replace it the same way. They gave me a brand new one.
Sanity wrote:

If I had a really old Crapsman ratchet I'd rather have an old/rebuilt one than a new one for a replacement. They seemed to be much better quality in the past.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

like sears and hardware stores. If an Ace hardware brand item with a lifetime warranty fails, ACE replaces it. If a Sears or Craftsman item fails, Sears replaces it. If a Radio Shack product fails,adio Shack replaces it.
If you buy some "name brand" item, generally the manufacturer replaces it and you are responsible to get it back to them.
And heaven help you if it is some off-brand chinese product and you need to return it to CHINA for replacement.

When I worked at RadioShack a dozen or so years ago (I was a retiree and being there was better than sitting at home) there wasn't anything with a lifetime guarantee. Some items might have a year, but otherwise it was 90 days.

Charlie wrote:

I worked for Tandy Repair, the repair division of Radio Shack back in 1978-79 and the Radio Shack Mach One speakers had a lifetime warranty. Negro Americans were returning the damn things with the terminals and cross over networks melted not to mention all the drivers and voice coils blown. It was amazing, I think they were listening to square waves. Radio Shack did away with lifetime warranty a short time later.
TDD

Not here. I have a screw clamp with the word "Craftsman" burned into the side. When the clamp handle fell off I took it back to Sears and they said "Sorry, those are not guaranteed because they have moving parts."

futher sears no longer owens the craftsman brand, they are a licensee only. kenmore is being sold off, to raise cash for operations.
retail is in a bad way, because of the economy. besides when K mart bought sears they sold off ALL non retail assests that sears used vhistorically to survive bad erconomic times.
allstate insurance, NTB tire and battery, their credit card operations which was larger than retail, coldwell banker real estate, now they sold off craftsman and soon kenmore.
sears itself is in danger of disappearing adding their name to retail history like montogomery ward, WT GRANT, woolworths, and a ton of others.circuit city, just joined that list
its really sad
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 04:48:51 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

When you see WalMart is packed with customers and K-Mart deserted, you got to question K-Mart management's strategy. I did see another "shopper" following me around the store, it turned out to be security was watching its only customer--have not been back since (really, I don't act shady!?). You'd think K-mart, after many years of retail experience, would know what it needs to do to compete. When it finally fails, nobody to blame but themselves. WalMart knows how to setup a successful retail store. Lots of customers in Kohls too. In these times, you got to be open-minded, take risks, and pull in more customers.

k mart stock shelves in the middle of the nite so customers dont interere........
which is a excellent reason not to visit, no one has a clue where stuff is, and theres too few employees to help effectively.
now target does great, lots of helpful workers who go out of their way to assist the shopper.
in sears yesterday, very few employees.
they refused to let me use a credit card to buy a digitaL TV CONVERTER.
but i got one a couple weeks ago at best buy without a problem using my card.
they lost a sale and moved themselves to the absolute bottom of my list of stores to shop at.
i could of gone and gotten cash at machine but it wasnt worth it

Go to a different store.

Anyone want a Circuit City guarantee for a laptop?
Steve

I have a CompUSA warantee for sale, real CHEAP!!!!!

actually circuit city always used a 3rd party warranty company so you are covered, check their web site