LED flashlight report for home repair

Page 2 of 4
On 9/29/2014 9:57 AM, WW wrote:

As the son of an editor, I have those weak moments, now and again. Sigh. Yes, FREE shipping.

I've got stuff from deals extreme, china. The free shipping has been a problem sometimes requiring signature, and takes a week or two.
I always look for a location on web sites. Some don't give that out. It should be under contact info, but often not, or listed in about company.
Greg
On 9/29/2014 12:22 AM, WW wrote:

http://www.tmart.com/LED-Flashlights/
Looks like they have amazing variety, including household 110 volt bulbs. Wow, I'll spend more time on this web site.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/29/2014 9:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.tmart.com/27LEDs-Super-Bright-White-Light-Camp-Lamp-Yellow-3-AAA_p246849.html
Similar to this, free at Harbor Freight with coupon and any purchase. The HF one comes with three carbon zinc AAA cells. I've seen similar to this in auto parts stores for five or six bucks.
On 9/29/14, 3:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I bought one on impulse about 5 years ago. I soon regretted it. It still has the original batteries because I've hardly used it.
The color rendition is poor. An unregulated LED light like that uses up most of your battery energy pretty quickly. After that, it's pretty dim, for most of the hours of battery life. I believe you need a #0 Phillips to change them.
With a first-rate headlamp, I know how much light I'll get when I press the switch, and I can change batteries with one hand in the dark. I suppose I average an hour a day, and that makes the hourly cost of depreciating and charging Eneloops very small.
On 9/29/2014 4:26 PM, J Burns wrote:

CY: Wow, that's a rough review. I like one inside my van, I magnet it to the top, and put it over the work bench.

CY: Yes, mine takes phillips screw driver. Mine works OK with #2 phillips. I'd prefer AA cells, they last a lot longer.

CY: Good that works for you. I like the two AA headlamps from HF, with a mini mag LED conversion instead of the provided filament bulb.
On 9/29/14, 5:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not wanting to feel like a fool for buying it, I've kept it on the side of the refrigerator, by the doorway between the kitchen and the dining room. That way it will be handy if I ever find a use for it.
It alternates between the end light and the side light. To me, that makes it a novelty light. It has no regulator, it's not very bright, and the color rendition is poor. My Fuel headlamp had the same four drawbacks. Buying it was a worse blunder because it cost more.
When I bought the light in question, my favorite light was a 26-LED work light that stands about 15" tall. It's not magnetic but can be stood, propped, laid down, or hand held. Crummy LED lights use bluish LEDs. Better ones have LEDs with yellow phosphor added, for a whiter light. The work light has even better color rendition.
The problem with the work light is that the AA NiMH cells are soldered in. They've held up better than I predicted, but after 10 years or longer, self-discharge is becoming a problem. One more to-do for my hassle calendar.
Maybe I shouldn't bother replacing the batteries. The handiness of a good headlight has put that work light into retirement.
On 9/29/2014 6:35 PM, J Burns wrote:

CY: I have a couple on my fridge, also. The 27 might be useful for working on some thing at night. Might.

CY: I figure it has either three to get me down the hall, or 27 for when I'm working.
It has no regulator, it's not very bright,

CY: The cheap LED, and what I call "blue fog" light.
My Fuel headlamp had the same four

CY: Ouch.

CY: Glad you foudn some thing that worked.

CY: A friend of mine gave me an under the hood work light, probably much like yours. I took out the charging circuit, and ran it off three AA cell battery pack. Put in alkalines, and gave the light back. He was very pleased.

CY: Nice to have a spare. Though I do like my strap on head lamps. One friend who I greatly respect had a headlamp that slid around all the time. He went back to D or C cell "stick" lights.
On 9/29/14, 6:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Will you fix mine? :) When it was new, I took it apart and tried to figure out a way to fix it to use standard AAs. Swapping batteries would mean I could use it indefinitely without a charging break. If a NiMH cell goes bad, throw it away.
Also, it seems to charge them by supplying a certain current to all three, and you guess when they're charged. An automatic charger with a circuit for each cell would be faster and kinder to the batteries.
On 9/29/2014 7:52 PM, J Burns wrote:

Sure, we can discuss it. I suspect the shipping from you, to me, and back again will kill the adventure. Having loose cells in a snap in battery holder does have a LOT of advantages.
On 9/29/14, 9:37 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Will email accept an attachment the size of a work light? It would save shipping charges! :)
On 9/29/2014 9:53 PM, J Burns wrote:

Worth trying to scan and email it. Or, Scotty can beam it down.
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3c/9c/b1/3c9cb112ca71e823563af903506c7798.jpg
On 9/30/14, 6:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I took the work light apart again. The battery is a plastic-wrapped bundle of 3 double A's by Unitech, kind of like a cellphone battery. It would be hard to get a different arrangement jammed into the space.
Taking it apart is miserable. It takes a lot of force to move the two rubber bumpers of place, and they hold everything together. There's a little screw in a well. I got it out but not back in. I thought it was a tiny crosshead screw. Then I saw it has 3 slots! Why would they do something like that!
I used to leave it charging until it felt a little warm. Last night I left it charging while open so I could feel the cells directly. They never got warm. The heat was coming from a sink. Maybe the light is designed to protect the cells from overcharging.
Much as I love the color rendition of that light, maybe I'll throw it away if the battery fails. A headlamp with great color rendition would fill the bill. It makes things pretty and can help me spot what I'm looking for. Cree publishes CRI data for their bulbs, but headlamp manufacturers may not specify color. Before I bought my HL-21, I emailed Fenix asking the bulb color. They didn't know. I think it has a CRI of 80. If Fenix had been willing to sacrifice a few lumens, they could have used a bulb with a CRI of 90. I would have preferred that.
On 9/30/2014 4:47 PM, J Burns wrote:

Sounds a lot like the one I did. I drilled a hole in the case, and put the three cell holder external, held on with electric tape.
On 9/30/14, 5:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm tempted!
On 9/30/2014 6:17 PM, J Burns wrote:

Worked, ok, here. I gave it back to the original owner, with instructions to put in alkaline batts when the light gets dim. I think they are about thirty bucks at the store. The batt holder and a couple cells might be worth the investment.
On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 4:47:03 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:

ve

3506c7798.jpg

If you like CRI, look for a light with a Nichia 219 emitter.
I actually just received two days ago a new light that I had modified with a 219 because I wanted something awesome. It's in my pocket now. (Sunwaym an V11R modified by a guy who advertises on CPF if you care. the reason fo r that particular light is I love the magnetic control ring UI combined wit h the tailcap on/off switch...)
I'd found myself using my old EDC pocket light enough that I figured I coul d justify a little "extravagance" and getting exactly what I wanted. If th is lasts me, say, as long as a car, it'll have been worth it.
nate
On 10/1/2014 1:23 PM, N8N wrote:

I had modified with a 219 because I wanted something awesome. It's in my pocket now. (Sunwayman V11R modified by a guy who advertises on CPF if you care. the reason for that particular light is I love the magnetic control ring UI combined with the tailcap on/off switch...)

enough that I figured I could justify a little "extravagance" and getting exactly what I wanted. If this lasts me, say, as long as a car, it'll have been worth it.

There is a lot to be said for a EDC light that fits your needs. My Dad's was a mini mag with LED Nite Ize module in a belt carry nylon holster. Other folks I know, like the Innova, or some other.
Mine was Mini Mag with Teralux module. I looked under my truck one day, and left it behind. It was about three hours drive away, and I didn't think it would be there when I returned (Walmart parking lot). The new Teralux 5-EX I got over heated and went dark. I was able to exchange it and get a new one. Draws 1.4 watts, and puts out good light.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/1/14, 7:54 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's a reason I'm sold on headlamps. If I go to look at something, it's on my head. If I'm carrying it, it's around my neck or in my pocket, where the friction of the crumpled strap seems to keep it from falling out.
If I put a light down, it's easier to spot if it's bright pink, yellow, or green. I'm disappointed that the HL50 comes only in black. To me, the fine untreated aluminum threads are one reason not to buy one. The color is another.
On 10/1/14, 1:23 PM, N8N wrote:

How do I find the CPF ad? (I'd probably be too cheap to buy one.)
I thought my HL21 had a CRI of 80. It's 70. I remembered it was better than a cool-white fluorescent light, which is 62. I remember my delight in the 1970s when I discovered cool white deluxe: less lumens, but a CRI of 85.
The HL22 and the HL50 seem to have a CRI of 75. I was about to order an HL50 because of its better color and broader beam. Then a reviewer pointed out that it uses fine-pitch aluminum threads that aren't anodized. They get stuck, can get cross-threaded, and take a lot of turns to unscrew.
I want to be able to change batteries one-handed in the dark! I wonder why Fenix didn't use coarse, anodized threads, like other Fenix lights and the Sunwayman V11R.