LED Bulb and Phone APP (WTF)

Page 2 of 2

I do have issues with reading the fine print, but the blue lines vs. red, etc. are pretty clear to me. The high resolution on a good smart phone helps a lot. But, you really don't have to look at all. They tell you when to turn.
--
Dan Espen

And mine even lectures me when I am speeding, just like SWMBO! (-:
--
Bobby G.

On 7/8/2015 5:16 AM, Senator Pocketstuffer wrote:

I have a 7" screen in my car. New models have 8" now. It has never failed me when used.
used my garmin to take me to a customer today. mostly out of laziness and not going the way i normally do to avoid some construction.
boy was i surprised mendon school took me to west newton elementary. but previously garmin thought mendon was in the median of I 70
On 7/8/2015 4:16 AM, Senator Pocketstuffer wrote:

I have a Nexus 6 phone, which is popularly called Shamu on the tech sites, because it is so large for a phone (phablet, actually). It's an excellent phone for old eyes. Also, Google Navigation beats anything by Tom Tom, Garmin, etc. by a country miles. It also gives spoken turn-by-turn directions, and unlike my Garmin POS, it knows how to correctly pronounce street names.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com writes:

You seem to have anger management issues. I don't think a smart phone is for you.
You need something else, but I don't have a license to prescribe.
:)
I had a Tom Tom before the smart phone, they both worked great. I think I like best that you can make a wrong turn either by accident or if you want to explore and it recomputes the route and gets you where you want.
--
Dan Espen

You should have bought a Garmin.
It also helps to have a little common sense when using them. They are not always accurate or up to date. I have one that will get me home from work (about 20 mile drive) if I follow it. However it adds about 15 minuits more to the drive home. It wants to take me a way that is shorter,but it is in an area that has stoplights every block for about 15 blocks. The way I go bypasses the lights to only a few.
On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 11:02:08 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I have a Garmin, it's probably 10 years old now, and it's been fine. Almost never takes me on a wrong path. I've used the smartphone based one that I have a bit too, and it seems accurate too. I find it extremely helpful when in totally unknown territory. IDK about TomTom though. It also may depend on what area you're using it in, the map source, etc.

Been a while since I used the Tom Tom. Indeed, it thought a road close to me was still closed and would try to avoid the direct route home. Minor problem, eventually someone updated the data.
But that reminds me, my smart phone is set to use Google Maps, and it "knows" about traffic patterns by time of day and sends me on different routes at different times of day.
Checking...checking, yep, it also uses real time data:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Traffic
As Maynard G. Krebs used to say, "what a world we live in".
--
Dan Espen

On 07/08/2015 01:07 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:
[snip]

The only time I needed a GPS device to find something, it was really close. It just thought my friend's house was on the other side of the street. However, I recognized the Christmas decorations.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 11:19:59 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

That may be the smart bulb that was on SharkTank on TV a year or so back. That's how that one worked too. I don't remember if it changed colors or not, but the smartphone control was part of it. I can see it being of value in some special applications, but agree I don't see the need for it here.