Leaking Parker ball pen

Page 1 of 2

I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even though it's not been stored upside down.
It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out? Thanks for advice.
If there aren't any plastic parts, then lacquer thinner and pipe cleaners. Otherwise use rubbing alcohol, which won't harm the plastic, but doesn't dissolve the ink as well.
john hamilton wrote:

nail polish remover and pipe cleaners / q-tips / cotton wool
--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Isopropyl alcohol, obtainable from a store chemist but quite expensive.
At current prices vodka from the local Tesco should work out cheaper it should be equally effective and can be put to other uses.
Methylated spirit would do equally well is it wasn't for the smell which again is why vodka is so popular.
michael adams

About 5/litre

--
geoff

/

The last time I bought any it cost 6.99 for 500ml, well over twice that. The label is still on the bottle. With store chemists who actually stock it being thin on the ground, you have to take what you can find.
While it may be cheaper in bulk, isopropyl alcohol is highly inflammable. And so buying a litre or more for occasional use in cleaning tape heads and the like, is not only hazardous but probably a false economy as well. Unless that is, additional uses can be found for it.
michael adams

drink
12 litres last me about 3 months
Ah 5.61/l for 12 litres
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc104/ipa-cleaning-solvent/dp/SA01885?i n_merchatured%20Products&MER=e-bb45-00001001
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

So, have you been to AA yet?
:-)

Handy Hint no 387:
"Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone by alcohol dehydrogenase."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
So if you're clean out of acetone but have plenty of IPA handy you can always make your own. Just make sure you wear gloves when handling the stuff, and don't spill any on anything plastic - such as vinyl floor tiles and toilet seats.

Ah, but us ordinary punters can't reclaim the VAT and would only be buying one at a time so that makes it 7.23/ per litre plus a 5.95 handling charge which comes out at 14.18 per litre. Which in total works out at exactly 20p more than...guess what ?
michael adams

Er no. That comes to 13.18 per litre

Something costing 12.98 per litre ?
michael adams

michael adams wrote:

Its the main constituent in windscreen antifreeze IIRC. Its not that inflammable, and there are dozens of DIY uses for it.
Cleaning computer keyboards is one. :-)

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 00:50:16 +0100, "michael adams"

stuff.
We use it for cleaning and it is good for killing flies at the moment.
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 00:50:16 +0100, "michael adams"

That's amazing. The last time I bought some it was 70% isopropyl alcohol and it was about 2 dollars for a pint, 473 ml.
That was about 2 months ago. I thought I would need to get the oil soot out of my computer, but the stuff turned out to not be sticky, and will blow right off what ever it is sitting on, or be sucked off with a vacuum cleaner.

Don't they make little stoves or lamps that run on this stuff?
mm wrote:

Nope, thats metho.

soak it in gasoline light it
This warranty is granted by PARKER and applies in the US and Canada. Your PARKER writing instrument is guaranteed for two years from the date of original purchase against defects in materials or workmanship. If found to be defective within the warranty period, your PARKER product will be repaired or replaced free of charge. This warranty may be extended by registering your PARKER writing instrument at www.parkerpen.com
john hamilton wrote:

Trash can, buy a new one.
--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!

Rubbing alcohol will dissolve the ink quite nicely.

You don't know what a Parker pen is, do you?
Doug Miller wrote:

Parker T-ball jotter. Yes, I've had several. You can get a pair from a discount store for 5 bucks now a days.
--

They sell lots of them for $5, but they also have them for $250 http://store.swisherpens.com/parker-duofold-blackgold-trim-ballpoint-pen-p474.aspx and up http://store.swisherpens.com/parker-duofold-check-ballpoint-pen-p1728.aspx