KitchenAid parent company/other brands

Page 1 of 2
I have a Kitchenaid dishwasher, about two years old, that has done nothing but give me trouble. It leaves fine particles of food clinging to the glassware, regardless of the detergent used. It finally died today, my son wondered why it didn't wash last night's load of dishes and we found out that there was no water getting to it. Also, the upper rack supports broke, as well as the handle on the upper rack. This is only from normal, once a day use.
The local appliance store that I bought it from has one service guy, and he doesn't know what he's doing half the time, it seems. They seem to expect my calls.
So, before I replace it, I want to know what other brands the parent company of Kitchenaid owns so I can avoid those too. I would also like recomendations for a new model that will simply be ultra-reliable and clean the dishes. Many fancy features are totally unnecessary. We have ours set on heavy load and pre-wash all the time, except for an occasional quick rinse.
I have heard good things about Bosch, Miele, Fisher and Paykel. Does anyone have a negative about any of them? Also, how are Maytag products? Cost is not much of a concern; we are building a new house but I hate to leave the buyer of our current house with such a piece of shit.
Jon E

Maytag. Kenmore has reliable, good performing dishwashers overall. I would have replaced my old Kenmore with another if they were better sound insulated. Check out http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl / for lots of talk about dishwashers. ====>

KitchenAid dishwashers used to be the top of the top, IMO. Our 1st KA lasted 17 years. The 2nd KA barely made it past the 5 year motor warrantee (I think about 7 years). Not only did the seals need replacing, the racks were in terrible shape. It would have cost me more for parts (me doing the labor) than a new one. I complained to KA, now owned by Whirlpool, and they bribed me ($100) to buy another one. This one is just ok. I definitely would not buy another KitchenAid.
gini52 wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:28:35 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"

My daughter-in-law's brand new KitchenAid does the very same thing, plus it seemed to her to be far too noisy. After three services calls ("wrong detergent," my ass!) the last guy really listened to her complaints.
He found that a tube at the back of the washing chamber was disconnected or something (I'm getting this 3rd hand from my wife!) , and in fact, was the wrong one for this machine! As a result, water meant for the shower head at the top was diverted to elsewhere (causing the noise) and food particles were left on the dishes.
Correct part is on order.
--John W. Wells

Add Asko to the list as well.
Dimitri

Have you contacted the manufacturer? It seems that there should still be some warranty left on this machine if it is only 2 years old -- and if you have proof that you have file numerous problems with the store where you bought it, there might be some "lemon" coverage (that is, you might be able to convince them to replace it or give a big discount).
MaryL

Bosch............probably NOT the best out there.
Miele and Asko are better. Bosch is 3rd......Asko 2nd......Miele #1. quietest machine of them all.
C.A.
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 06:36:27 -0400, "Carpenter Ant"

where are they manufactured for sale in the US? In the US like Bosch?

====> and no I am not German.

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:55:50 -0400, "Carpenter Ant"

Check out http://www.miele.com/pressroom/news1.html and see what is located at the Princeton location - _a design center and show room_
Perhaps the equipment being shown there is manufactured at their facility in Mexico? I guess not because that is another showroom and design center http://www.miele.com/pressroom/news1.html .
They do NOT sell direct find a local miele dealer near you.
C.A.

You can see some of their models at the following link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?srch=Miele+dishwasher
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+dishwashers
=~~~~~~
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:59:42 -0400, "Dan O."
...snip

Again, thanks, Dan.
Your site links to someplace in Chicago. Where are you located - anywhere near New England? If I end up buying one, I'd like to consider your place if you sell them.
Email if you like - address below is good.
-- Larry snipped-for-privacy@lmr.com

Thanks, I appreciate it but I don't sell anything myself and I'm in Canada so it would likely be even more expensive importing one from here with duties and such. :)
There is another company that sells Miele dishwashers and offers $59 nation wide delivery. See the following link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?us=mieldis.html
Happy shopping!
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+dishwashers
=~~~~~~

Where in New England are you?
In NH, Barons sells Miele. http://www.baronsmajorbrands.com
wrote in message

Don't confuse most expensive with best. BTW, if you don't want the other guy's Audi, I have a VW Passat you might be interested in.
OTOH, my Mercedes is NOT for sale. I think they did a fabulous job on the car in both fit and finish, design, and most (not all) "ergonomic" and bells&whisltes type features. The only issue is the ventilation system - windows fog all the time and the vent blows warm air in the beginning (must routed the intake by the engine (semi ;-)). (Oh, and I can't fit anything wider than about 32" in the back unless I tilt it...) And this is the bottom of their line.
So, maybe buy the top of the line brand, though not necessarily the top of the line within the top of the line. ?
Renata
On 5 Jul 2003 15:27:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mailexpire.com (Michael S. Trachtenberg) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com (Renata) wrote in message

Hello, Renata.
I recently looked into buying a 2000 E430 to replace the VW and realized it might be another German headache. Read owner comments on Edmunds and newsgroups and found they have a lot of electrical problems. You may or may not encounter this with your model as it ages. The extended warranty quotes from the usual sites were a little under US$3000.
NY Times had an article today on auto durability (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/08/business/08CND-AUTO.html ). Mercedes finished below Chrysler, never mind the Japanese brands. I also note that VW ranks among the worst in the industry, joining such superluminaries as Kia.
Aack! Indeed, just today read that Mercedes finished 26th in long term dependability. Used to be #1. I don't think the extended warranty on my model was anywhere close to 3G but I wasn't paying much attention as I usually don't bother with those (having owned mostly Toyotas that were trouble free). Now ya got me thinking I should seriously consider buying an extended warranty.
I was generally commenting on the overall ft and finish, and "ergonomic" details which are nice. However, I haven't owned the quite a year so longer term problems haven't had a chance to raise their ugly heads.
BTW, Toyota's Lexus was #1in vehciel dependability. There's another article and ranking chart at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29434-2003Jul8.html?nav=hptoc_b
Yeah, but VW beat out Land Rover.
Thanks for the info.
Renata
On 8 Jul 2003 18:54:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mailexpire.com (Michael S. Trachtenberg) wrote:

Hi,

Whirlpool is the owner of KA... http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml Who makes what.

Repair parts are tough to get many times, service in many area's is non-existant, parts are often over priced.

Quiet and has good ability to wash well!! Too bad most of thier line is full of electronics!
jeff.