Kitchen disaster with cleaver

Page 1 of 2
I have this piece of textured glass panel set into my Formica counter right next to my stove. I don't think it is regular glass...maybe tempered glass? Well, I was chopping up 30 pounds of raw turkey necks and the panel broke into a million pieces. (I sure will do it on a better surface next time.) Now I have to get this replaced. It was about 20 X 16 x 5/16 inches. The glass was clear but had a papery backing on it. It is surrounded by a frame of sorts, that held it into the hole cut into the Formica, which I was able to pull out.
So, all you repair people out there...Where do I get glass like this? Is there a technical name for it? There is a glass place not far from me. Would they do it or is this a special kitchen item?
Thanks for any advise offer, and happy holidays to all.
Bonnie in NJ
I have this piece of textured glass panel set into my Formica counter right next to my stove. I don't think it is regular glass...maybe tempered glass? Well, I was chopping up 30 pounds of raw turkey necks and the panel broke into a million pieces. (I sure will do it on a better surface next time.) Now I have to get this replaced. It was about 20 X 16 x 5/16 inches. The glass was clear but had a papery backing on it. It is surrounded by a frame of sorts, that held it into the hole cut into the Formica, which I was able to pull out.
So, all you repair people out there...Where do I get glass like this? Is there a technical name for it? There is a glass place not far from me. Would they do it or is this a special kitchen item?
Thanks for any advise offer, and happy holidays to all.
Bonnie in NJ
============ You were chopping right on the counter, without a cutting board?
Doug Kanter wrote:

Yes (hangs head in shame).
Bonnie Jean wrote:

You should! Just look in the yellow pages for glass or windows. Take a piece of the glass and the frame to any glass shop and tell them you want a new piece that fits the frame. Any decent glass shop will know what the glass is and be able to get a same size piece.
If it is tempered it has to be made to that size and will probably cost a bit. The other option would be to find a tempered glass cutting board of approximate size and then have a frame made that fits the board and the counter.

If it broke into small glass "crumbs",then it's tempered glass. Ordinary glass would break into larger dangerous shards.

I believe she considered the glass insert to be the "cutting board",it may have only been a cover for a (missing?)cutting board. (or filling the hole left from a removed glass cooktop!)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Hi, It's so called hot plate where you can put down hot pots, etc while cooking. Our kitchen always had this and we never used glass type. Ours is tiles. Tony

Tony I think you are correct. It was meant to put hot pots on, right from the stove. I don't think there ever was anything there but the glass.

My wife gets a ton of free samples from companies she sells for. We now have GLASS cutting boards. Pretty Christmas scenes, homey pictures.
I HATE THEM. They screech. You can't really cut through things without sawing. She loves them, and there are about three out at any time. Me, I have to go search for the wooden one, or the poly ones that she has hidden from view.
I would throw the damn things out in a second if I thought I could get away with it.
Cutting on glass?
What's wrong with this picture?
Steve

It's murder on your knives, but if the Mrs hasn't noticed yet, she probably never will.

I have MY knives, and she has hers. Fortunately, she doesn't like MINE. I only have about four. A 16" roast cutter with a flat blade about 1 1/8" wide with a round nose, a Chinese minicleaver that is good for chopping and cutting most anything, a Henckels 12" chef, and a boning knife.
She doesn't like them because they are always sharp as a razor. She is afraid of them. I keep them sharp with an EZ Lap diamond stone. They even have a special compartment in the drawer unlike hers that are all on top of each other.
Hers are not very sharp. Hence, she really uses, likes, and prefers the cheap serrated Ginzu style knives. Works for me. She likes to saw, I like to cut. She'll pick the serrated blades every time.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Have you tried one of the ceramic knives? If not, you should. Very nice.
wrote

Make sure she also has her own drill bits and screwdrivers. I used to live with someone who sounds like a clone of yours. :-)

She has her own TOOL BUCKET. I would crawl through a hundred yards of dogshit and broken glass before I ever used a tool out of that bucket.
Must be radar or sending devices. I can't take a screwdriver out of there without her asking me within five minutes, "Have you seen my screwdriver?" (She knows I have it, she's just giving me a chance to dig in deeper.)
Oh, you mean that Stanley #2 Phillips?
No, I haven't seen it.
Steve
wrote

Same story here. She is a toolcleptomaniac, loves the small stuff like a small diagonal cutter for wires to cut nails. I found several of MY tools in HER toolbox all the times. Anyway 20 years ago she said that there should be tools made specially foe women, pink handle and floral motives. A great idea but we are not the entrepreneurial types. Today we start seeing those king of tools in stores.
Then there is the jar with all miscellaneous fastener instead of sorting them by type and size in the bins in the garage.
Whatever keeps them out of the shop....
Mauro
wrote

This sound sooo familiar. Dull knives require more effort, they misbehave easier and cut a ragged wound. Sharp knives are safer!! SWIMBO has a couple of Corning ceramic cutting boards that can dull a knife in seconds, convinced her to use them for hot pots only. Just finished sharpening all the knives, bracing for the complaints.
Mauro

No "complaints",but I would not consider a CERAMIC board a "cutting" board,ever.
A "hot pad",yes.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Even if it didn't hurt the knives themselves, it would certainly allow the knives and the food to slide all over the place. OK if you have an easy source of new fingers, but otherwise, no.
Bonnie Jean wrote:

If it broke into millions of small pieces it's definitely tempered glass. The texturing is a little odd, but I'm sure it has to do with the function of that glass insert. It's meant to be a place where you can put hot pots taken from the stove onto the counter without burning the Formica. The texturing is probably meant to make the bottom of the pan not come into full contact with the glass - it would tend to hold the pot up on the raised contact points and keep the full heat of the pot from coming into contact with the glass all at once. Thermal shock can be a problem with glass.
As you've learned, it's not a chopping board. It's also not a slicing board or anything else that involves steel edges and cutting. Ask your glass guy, I'm sure he'll be able to help, or see if you can remove the insert from below and find a manufacturer's mark to order a new piece of glass.

Chopping on a glass surface sure is hard on your knife's edge.
What do you make with 30Lb of turkey necks? (besides a big mess?)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

LOL. Yes it is messy chopping them. But getting it by the case is inexpensive ($22.20 for the case). I feed my two pugs and one cat a 100% raw diet. In the morning the pugs get half a raw chicken back or a segment of turkey neck. At dinner they get a raw egg, sometimes with a pureed veggie fruit mush, and their supplements.
Me, I eat Twinkies for breakfast. Just kidding.
Bonnie