Kitchen disaster with cleaver

Make sure she also has her own drill bits and screwdrivers. I used to live with someone who sounds like a clone of yours. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Bonnie Jean wrote in news:aLOdnZ- u snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Feeding those BONY necks to your pets??? (I thought you might be making turkey soup or something like that.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Nope, no soup. Bones are softer when raw. I would never feed them cooked bones. And they only eat non-weight bearing bones (backs, wings and necks). I probably would be a bit nervous feeding them thighs or drumsticks. You'd be surprised how fast a carnivore can crunch up a chicken back. Plus I don't feed them unsupervised. I've been feeding them this way for 5 years. Google "species (or biologically) appropriate raw food."

It's a choice I made for my pets. I am comfortable with it but I understand that most people aren't.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

What do the cats have to say about it? In the wild, they'll eat other organs, including brains, which contain vitamins they need.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Interesting reading. Animals in the wild don't have cooking facilities so it makes a lot of sense.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:K42sf.4431$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

I'm not concerned about them eating raw meat,it's just the bones,especially small bones like turkey necks. From nature TV shows I've watched,felines tear off the meat,and don't chew up the bones,first thing they eat is the entrails. Scavenger bids appear to get the carcass to clean up, or strong jawed carnivores like hyenas chew up the bones.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The cat eats a complete product called Aunt Jeni's Home Made. There are bones in it but they are ground.

I adopted the cat 2-3 years ago at age nine. Given how finicky cats are it is a miracle he's eating any raw. I've tried to encourage him to gnaw on meaty bones but he won't. I was prepared for the possibility that he'd never eat raw and have to remain on cat food. (I consider pet food, junk food.) There are organ meats in the Aunt Jeni's. Most importantly, there is heart meat which contain Taurine which is essential for cats. The cat (and dogs) also loves this really disgusting stuff called Green Tripe. It is unprocessed stomach....with all the junk you'd find in the stomach of ruminant animals. The tripe that people eat is super clean. Green tripe smells awful.

Edwin wrote: > Interesting reading. Animals in the wild don't have cooking >>facilities so it makes a lot of sense.

And they don't eat any grain which is what dog food is largely made of. Any grain they get is from the stomach contents of their prey. Not that pugs have ever hunted down prey--now that is a ridiculous picture. But todays canines are extremely close to wolves, genetically. Just like we aren't that far from primates and our closer predecessors. I think it's human arrogance for humans to think they can feed dogs and cats better than what nature meant for them to eat.

More on topic... I am going to call the glass place tomorrow. I think I would like to replace it. Then I will buy a heavy end-cut butcher block type cutting board for my cleaver sessions.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

"Doug Kanter" wrote

She has her own TOOL BUCKET. I would crawl through a hundred yards of dogshit and broken glass before I ever used a tool out of that bucket.

Must be radar or sending devices. I can't take a screwdriver out of there without her asking me within five minutes, "Have you seen my screwdriver?" (She knows I have it, she's just giving me a chance to dig in deeper.)

Oh, you mean that Stanley #2 Phillips?

No, I haven't seen it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It's called a Vance Surface Saver. They used to be available at Home Depot (not sure if they still are). I do know you can get a new one at

And my son says my brain is full of useless knowledge.

20½ X 16½ x 5/16 inches. The glass was clear but had a papery backing on it. It is surrounded by a frame of sorts, that held it into the hole cut into the Formica, which I was able to pull out.

So, all you repair people out there...Where do I get glass like this? Is there a technical name for it? There is a glass place not far from me. Would they do it or is this a special kitchen item?

Thanks for any advise offer, and happy holidays to all.

Bonnie in NJ

Reply to
Lee & Cathi Thomas

Well Cathi, that information was priceless to me. I believe that is=20 exactly what I have (had). The frame, bolt and lugs are slightly=20 different but this house was built 15 years ago and I've been here for=20

  1. They must've changed that part slightly. But the measurement is=20 perfect. I am going to get it. It looks like with a little caulk, I'll=20 be back in business. I will buy a piece of heavy butcher block=20 separately. I may be moving within the next year so I'll be able to take =

that with me.

Thank you so very much.

B> It's called a Vance Surface Saver. They used to be available at Home D= epot=20

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

This sound sooo familiar. Dull knives require more effort, they misbehave easier and cut a ragged wound. Sharp knives are safer!! SWIMBO has a couple of Corning ceramic cutting boards that can dull a knife in seconds, convinced her to use them for hot pots only. Just finished sharpening all the knives, bracing for the complaints.

Mauro

Reply to
MG

Same story here. She is a toolcleptomaniac, loves the small stuff like a small diagonal cutter for wires to cut nails. I found several of MY tools in HER toolbox all the times. Anyway 20 years ago she said that there should be tools made specially foe women, pink handle and floral motives. A great idea but we are not the entrepreneurial types. Today we start seeing those king of tools in stores.

Then there is the jar with all miscellaneous fastener instead of sorting them by type and size in the bins in the garage.

Whatever keeps them out of the shop....

Mauro

Reply to
MG

I don't believe nature has any intent.

I think you mean cats and dogs evolved eating certain foods. Of course all recent evolution of cats and dogs includes eating whatever humans give them.

Reply to
Dan Espen

"MG" wrote in news:Txbsf.2934$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

No "complaints",but I would not consider a CERAMIC board a "cutting" board,ever.

A "hot pad",yes.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Even if it didn't hurt the knives themselves, it would certainly allow the knives and the food to slide all over the place. OK if you have an easy source of new fingers, but otherwise, no.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Glad to be of help. I'm just surprised no one else knew what it was. Good luck - that web site has a greatl price on it also.

Cathi

  1. They must've changed that part slightly. But the measurement is perfect. I am going to get it. It looks like with a little caulk, I'll be back in business. I will buy a piece of heavy butcher block separately. I may be moving within the next year so I'll be able to take that with me.