Kenmore Elite 20 inch Bottom Freezer door handle Rrversal

My Kenmore Elite bottom freezer model 596.70002002 has large curved metal handles. Owner's manual says call repairman for handle reversal. I don't want to pay a repairman $100.00 to change the handles. Does anyone know how to do this or is it some big trade secret?

Reply to
imlbl

What needs to be reversed? They pull the doors from the center and top of the freezer.

The ones on my fridge (not Kenmore) can be removed by loosening a set screw on the side. You probably have something similar.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to Ed Pawlowski, imlbl wrote: No, sorry. The bottom freezer is not a drawer but a swinging door just like the refrig.. The handles incorporate the entire side of both parts. We reversed the hinges so that it opens right to left, but the handles are still on the left hand side. They do not touch the front surface at all.

Reply to
imlbl

You have accomplished something extrordinary - - few could imagine. John T.

Reply to
hubops

See page 7

Ed Pawlowski

Who would have thought to check the manual ? :)

Reply to
philo

Please note , in the original question, I listed the model no. as well as the Fact that the owner's manual says call a repairman. The link you sent me to is not my unit, although there is one pic in it that looks like mine. (See page 5). We are not novices at things like this, but on this we are confused. Ask same question on another site, only answer was call a tech. Is there something special about this model,, some special tool involved? There are no water on electrical connections. We just want this done before family gets here for Christmas without wasting money for something we should be capable of ourselves. Thanks for your time

Reply to
imlbl

Where the door-pull needs to be re-mounted - can you see any little "cover-up " plugs ? or molding piece to be removed ? This might give you a clue where to look to remove the handle. Don't pry & force things and break it - try sliding any cover moldings - looking for a tongue connection ... < ? > Good luck. John T.

Reply to
hubops

While this is for the top freezer, the handles are probably about the same as on this youtube vidio. About 4 minuits in for the handles.

Ralph Mowery

Time to get out a screwdriver and give it a try.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My Kenmore fridge has a 1x1 plastic cover where the bottom of the handle should go, (I think in my case the top attaches some other way.) Some use round plugs instead of covers.

Reply to
micky