Joint compound over paint?

The paint on my bathroom ceiling is cracking and flaking from the humidity when showering(no ventilation, need to install a fan). Will it be OK if I scrape all the flaky stuff off, degloss the paint that still adheres good, apply mud, sand it, then paint?
TIA Matt Mika
yeah that works, refinished most of my home that way, use drywall mud.
after scraping and cleaning give room a coat of BIN or Kilz, that gets better adhesion:)

fix the humidity problem before you start remodeling or your just asking to revisit the problem later