Is there a "special" tool for moving dead brush 100 feet away?

Page 3 of 5
On Thu, 30 May 2013 21:46:41 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

I realize you know weapon delivery systems better than anyone else here, so I won't argue with you on that!

Don't believe the premise of Guns, Germs & Steel? It seems as though it would have been inevitable in any case.
On Thu, 30 May 2013 21:35:09 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

I believe in Sun Tzu's premise of defeating the enemy by knowing both your enemy and yourself, and then using strategy to win.
Guns, horses, germs, cunning, guile, &, I might add, very sharp swords were formidable; but the real advantage the Spaniards had were a better strategy than either the Incas or the Aztecs had.
Had the North & South American natives met the invaders on the beaches, allowing no foot on land, they *might* have prevailed.
However, I've read about every battle in history that I could find, so I do agree that, in history, repeated attacks by small forces *have* sometimes defeated overwhelmingly large forces; but, in general, 200 men at a time shouldn't win a battle against 4,000 opponents - if the natives had only spent the time and energy to *understand* what they were up against - and then to formulate a detailed strategy for defeating that enemy.
Easy for me to say, but, these comments, in relation to the USENET, simply imply that the goal of fully *understanding* the task at hand is, essentially, the means to a successful conquest of home repair issues.
Knowing the enemy's weakness, and knowing your strength, is the key to defeating thousands of those teeny tiny California ants in your kitchen; or ridding a hillside of a fortress of Poison Oak; or clearing out the litter of the dead bodies of the Spanish Moss & Scotch Broom invaders, pulled out, at their weakest point, during the winter rains; or removing cooty stains from toilets using chemical warfare to attack where the enemy has his base of support.

I guess you should be contacting Jared Diamond and informing him of his wrong thinking....
Ya, like this could work?
"if the natives had only spent the time and energy to *understand* what they were up against - and then to formulate a detailed strategy for defeating that enemy."
How successful would any of your home repairs have been "in a technical vacuum" & with people shooting at you? My guess.... not very.
History (& Jared Diamond) proves you wrong again & again... I suppose you could find some rare examples to support your premise but LARGE technological differences are nearly impossible to over come when warfare is involved.
And please do not give me modern examples. Most technological differences that exist today are small compared to 500 years ago. Plus the "leakage rate" is much higher today....
You're amazing.
Danny D wrote:

They also did not invent a meaningful religion, a written language, navigation or trans-ocean travel, significant medical practice, and on and on.
Only part of the descriptor "noble savage" is correct.
On Tue, 28 May 2013 19:00:15 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

LESSONS LEARNED: Given the ideas presented for the *downhill* slope brush cleaning, the most useful suggestion of all was to use the tarp.

The tarp allowed me to drag the piles of brush the 150' or so to the roadway even easier than the rope did. Plus, it was much easier to untangle the tarp than the rope when done.
With the tarp, it wasn't easy, as an average-sized man can move these piles as far as they need to on a flat or downslope (e.g., moving piles 150' took only a few minutes):

Note: The wheelbarrow held pitifully small loads, as did the recycling bin containers (even given their large size). I didn't have any motorized moving equipment handy.
Upslope was a whole different story however, where all the otherwise-great ideas failed miserably (for me, anyway).

The wheels comment was regarding the tool shed which I'm pretty sure will slide down your hill.
If you really intend to conquer this hill, so that you can navigate up and down and clear brush, I think you're up to the point where you need to build a stairway.
--
Dan Espen

How about a funicular railway with a "maint car w/ open platform"? It could haul tools AND debris.
On Wed, 29 May 2013 14:49:33 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

I've started stockpiling the stakes and railroad ties ...

Sounds like a plan.
--
Dan Espen

How about a funicular railway with a "maint car / platform"? It could haul tools AND debris.
On Thu, 30 May 2013 09:13:19 -0700, Oren wrote:

Or, I wave $100/day to anyone that stands in the front parking lot at the Home Depot ...

And break the law?
On Thu, 30 May 2013 21:27:33 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

I don't know if it's legal or not, but police cruisers drive by every single day. They can't help but see dozens of these guys standing in the Home Depot parking lot, day in and day out.
Nobody doesn't know what they're doing.
So, while I don't know the laws, I don't see that the people *paid* to enforce them are doing anything about it that is having any success.
Plus, I've never ever hired someone that way. If anything, I'd hire out the local kids; but the point was that the work was immense no matter how you look at it, to lug the brush *uphill* a steep 50 feet to the roadway.

DADD-
Do try & keep up....
most local jurisdictions are proscribed for one reason or another from enforcing laws related to immigration. Think about the unintended consequences thereof....
So as an example... if the police aren't enforcing vice laws, it's ok for you to pick up a street walker?
On second thought....never mind.
On Fri, 31 May 2013 10:03:08 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

I'll snap a picture of it for you, but there is a white-and-black sign posted at the very entrances to that Home Depot strictly forbidding pick up of workers.
White and black signs, are, you may recall, for legal use only (at least when on public roadways).
I tried to google street view it for you, but they appear to have blurred out the signs, for some reason:

I don't remember exactly what the sign says, as I see it every time I go there - but next time I go there, I'll snap a photo of it for you.

I hope you pay the unemployment insurance, your end of FICA, and everything CA adds to your employer's misery, too! ;-)
On Fri, 31 May 2013 12:00:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

Your approach is called the Federale Transform approach. The guys who run? They're called the Federales Series.
On Tue, 28 May 2013 10:00:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Thanks for the kind advice. Luckily I have very thick skin. :)
By way of update, I failed miserably yesterday in cleaning the brush where the road was *uphill* on the steep hillside. :(
It's hard to see in a 2D picture, but it's a steep 50' slope where your boots sink a foot deep and often you frustratingly break into a pile of old brush up to your hips in depth:

While great ideas came about from this thread for the downhill cleaning, the steep uphill cleaning defied (my) human hands, wheeled recycling bins, wheelbarrows, tarps, rope, and rakes.

In the end, this measly sickly pile of debris is all I could tease and tug and pull out of the steep slope, where a hundred times that amount remains, awaiting a better idea:

Verdict: Fail.
On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:03:55 AM UTC-6, Danny D wrote:

Like I told you before Danny...gather these sticks and branches with your hands and take them into your loving arms and transport them to where ever your heart desires. Really, it is not a difficult task as I have done this many, many times under similar conditions and over similar terrain.