Clusterbox Protection Ideas?

I own a rental unit where the mail is delivered to cluster boxes like this

on the side of the building (see . Criminals have been attacking the boxes. The original ones were pretty weak and were broken into (pried open the whole thing so all the mail was visible and it was all stolen). There was one incident of identity theft that we are aware of.

The original boxes were replaced, and already one was attacked and damaged though they did not actually get it open to steal the mail. They bent the frame and the mailman could no longer close the master gate so he stopped delivering mail. I was able to bend it back to normal and I put about thirty wood screws around the frame that eliminate the gap where they stuck in the crowbar. That'll at least slow down a thief (we could replace them with one-way screws as well).

We need to do something long term because this problem is likely to continue. We've thought about security cameras, adding steel or aluminum flat bar over the vertical collars

and wood framing, or buying a free-standing high security cluster box .

Any other ideas? Other than selling the property.

Reply to
sms

How about a spotlight from the building pointed toward the cluster, and maybe a camera pointed in the same direction?

Reply to
hrhofmann