Is my house at danger?

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 23:41:14 -0500, in misc.consumers.house Dweezil Dwarftosser

that would appear to be better then the current situation that only serves to drive property prices up.
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 23:41:14 -0500, someone wrote:

Yeah, from DUMB BUYERS. What if the house was a great deal as listed? This Buyer's agent would not want you to buy that house. He/she would want you to bid on a house with an inflated price so that they can show you they got a lot off.
A BIG MISTAKE in buying real estate is to evaluate your deal by how much you will be getting "off". This only rewards those who inflate the asking price.
Which is a better deal, getting 10% of on a house priced at $250k, getting 7% off a house priced at $240k, or NOTHING off a house priced at $220k - if it was all the very same house? There is no objective price umpire setting asking prices. If you evaluate your deal based on asking price, then THAT is indeed foolish.
v wrote:

But an even bigger mistake would be to assume that home prices aren't outrageously inflated in the first place.
Sorry, but the real estate scammers (i.e. - realty agents) are a dying breed, thank God. The internet will do them in, much like it has the legacy "major media".

Reply not at all; I don't want to read your screams of anguish.
On 01 Nov 2005 22:20:30 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

    Whose money is needed for there to be a deal ? The agent doesn't get paid in '3 % of a building' ( the sellers side of the value transfer )

    Yep. Slice and dice it any way, but that's the bottom line - it's in their interest for that house to be sold, not to protect you from a mistake.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.' 'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.' HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm /
Well, I am sure that there is a large percentage of agents that work that way but I can tell you this much, they don't last long in the business. Caveat Emptor is really the key to any transaction. You should oblige yourself to take a keen interest in what you are buying and to learn more about the process. That should also include who you decide to work with. If you aren't discriminating about your agent then chances are, you will get a bad one. Agents that just use up people don't build a client base and won't get repeat business.
...p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:50:37 -0500, someone wrote:

I seriously doubt the "Real Estate commission" is going to give him legal advice. (And isn't the "real estate commission" what the Broker gets paid, anyway?)
v wrote:

Naw - the "real estate commision" (legislature, attorney general, etc. - even the BBB ) are the ones the Broker pays off to look the other way...
v wrote:

http://www.ncrec.state.nc.us /
From their web site:

See Number 6 - The Real Estate Commission can provide "legal advice" at least to the extent of what the License Law and Commission rules require ...
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 12:32:35 GMT, someone wrote:

Sorry, but that's not "legal advice". The OP's Q here is not "what are the Commission rules", it was more like "so how can I prove that the Seller knew about this". The Commission aint gonna give him step by step instructions on how to attempt that.
It would likely be something more like "XYZ law requires that conditions materially effecting value be disclosed if known; it you wish to file a complaint our rules require it be on Form ABC within X days/months/years of the occurance; do you wish to file a complaint"? That is NOT anywhere near the Q of "did they know and how do I prove it", on which they are NOT gonna give him advice and more than they would give the Seller advice on "the Buyer is claiming I knew about something that doesn't even exist, how do I get him to go away?"

Do it for yourself. It wont matter about having to disclose it to a future buyer because they are going to hire an engineer and he will tell them what is up. At least for now, you will know for yourself and have a chance to do something about it before something worse happens.
Isnt the engineering firm responsible at all for not seeing this? Could all of this have happened in the past few months?
Tony
That is too much settling, in too little time! I think the footing is inadequate. You can only patch and hope it reaches some state of permanency. In all probability I would get out and have a properly built home constructed. The Southern Standard Building Codes are minimal standards written in cinjunction with the Banks to insure that the homes they were financing would last the term of the loan 30 years. It doesn't sound like yours meets that even. Sorry. This is just my opinion.

Did you forget to mention that hurricane Wilma was in your neighborhood?
Hey, I would call an engineer immediately to figure out what is going on. These kinds of problems are very serious and without proper repair will make it very difficult to sell your house in the future. I would also contact the original contractor who built this house( if possible) to see if they will stand behind their work. If some piers have collapsed under your house it could indicate serious water problems under the house. When piers collapse, walls crack and undue strain is then placed on other portions of the house. This could have a cascading effect. It is important that you move on this quickly.
Kim wrote:

As others have said, a lot of the things you mentioned - hairline cracks in the corners, popping sounds - are just things that some houses do. The house we built in 1985 did all that stuff, but it's fine.
The "floor tilting" that you feel when walking, could be a lot of things, the subfloor is warped or delaminated, or some other problem. Foundation settling is not the only possible cause. For that matter, the tilting is not necessarily a serious problem. My current house is old and has various tilts and uneven places in the floors, but they don't mean it's falling down.
Have you looked at the foundation itself? Are there cracks in it?
If there are nasty looking cracks in the foundation, or if your peace of mind is at stake, certainly consider getting a home inspector to examine the particular things that worry you. It's hard to say without seeing it, of course, but my sense from your original post is that you may be worrying about it a little too much.
yes, there are 2-3 cracks near a vent window of the foundation wall. About 1/8 inch wide.

May or may not mean anything.
Rather than worrying, hire an engineer to look at these issues.
Banty
I have personal experience w/a house w/foundation failure, so will add another voice to those saying "get an engineer." And, get a GOOD one. Either you'll find out what you need to know, (possibly for your own safety), or you'll be able to put your mind at ease. In my area such an inspection costs about three to four hundred bucks. More if they have to do any testing. Though it's not guaranteed, a good engineer can often spot signs that someone did an inadequate repair or concealed a defect altogether.
This may or may not be anyone's fault. But if there is a problem it doesn't say much about the builder if his houses only last 12 yrs. The history of ownership and of any court records or complaints filed w/re to that property or the builder or owners might be very telling. Do your neighbors know if there were past problems? Depending on how small a community you're in, a house that's had problems can be known by quite a few people, like real estate agents, repair companies, etc.
Good luck...i hope it turns out to be nothing, but IMO it's worth a few hundred to have some peace of mind.
I have a similar problem with a house that I purchased recently: Cracking noises; drywall cracks and many window and doorway corners.
How do I find a good and appropriate engineer? What is the kind of engineer that I need called and where do I look? Yellow pages?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

M Q wrote:

Here structural engineers are listed under "Engineers-Structural" in the Yellow Pages.