Moving a 2-Story House

I ran across a 2-story 3000 sf wood frame house that the owner will give away to anyone who will move it off the property. It's a large urban lot and want to build apartments.

Assuming all the details -- structurally sound, approved by the city of the new site, moving permits clear, etc.... Has anyone had personal experience pricing this kind of project?

This is not the house I'm looking at, but similar in shape and height.

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Oren posted for all of us...

+1 I've seen it done and it is a painstakingly long process therefore $$$$.
Reply to
Tekkie®

Even having done one (actually it was 2-1/2 story of half-again the footprint) for the local historical society, what it cost here for that particular move is totally irrelevant to what it might cost somewhere else for a different house. It's mostly controlled by just how involved the particular house and route are; these guys can get in and lift a small frame house in a morning and be ready to be on the road with it that evening--the hangups are all the other stuff's they've got to deal with and that's the time and as another says, therefore, the money. You'll just have to find somebody local and get a bid.

Reply to
dpb

Hey, seenyor. Mis amigos and I move more casas each anyo than yue have ever bin in. We do a bery good job. And we have FICA and income tax withheld from our paycheks too, but can never collect on the FICA because we're illeagle.

Reply to
IlleagleMexican

There was a series on one of the cable channels a while back something like Big Movers. They showed how this stuff is done. They have expensive equipment and a crew of 5 to 10 people for the setup. A lot of bracing has to be done after the lift to make a platform. With the crew needed, it has to be hundreds of dollars per hour.

I did see a house being moved though. They go rather slow.

I'm thinking, with four pickup truck, four bottle jacks, and a case of beer we could get it done on a Saturday.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The day I got out of the Army there was a fairly large apartment building up on wheels sitting right in front of my flat. I told they guy who gave me a ride to just drop me off at the corner. I understand that it was the largest building ever moved in the city of Milwaukee.

Back then, due to business expansion , a lot of houses were being moved.

In addition to the price of moving is of course, the new foundation, the hook ups and repairing cracks.

The outfit here in town guaranteed no cracks larger than 1/4".

Even a $1 house can end up being a large expenditure, but still it's going to be cheaper than an entirely new house.

Anyway, the house-movers generally charge by distance and add fees if the electric company needs to temporary re-route wires.

Reply to
philo

Would any of your crew habla Ingles?

On a more serious note, one time when I was a little boy, they did move a house near me. I was too young to make note of it, and remember any of the details. But, it used to be possible. Now, who can tell?

Agreeing with others, it's a very specific situation. With legal jurisdictions, road surface, utilities to be moved, and permits, and gosh knows what.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like moving boats around in Maine. On one trip I was up on the bridge with a broom easing the wires over the top. The phone and electrical wires were okay but the cable guys had skimped on the height requirements. Oh, well, they could come out Monday and replace the ones I missed.

Boats are more challenging with the keels and all. Houses are a piece of cake. Thing is, those bottle jacks don't have enough travel so you have to jack, block, jack, block and so forth, which cuts into the Budweiser time. The screw type house jacks have the same problem. What you want are four sturdy farm jacks. Four of those and a fat enough ass and you can move the world.

Reply to
rbowman

Or you can always get Sweetums from the original Muppet Movie..

("Jack not name. Jack job!")

danny burstein

give away to anyone who will move it off the property. It's a large urban lot and want to build apartments.

city of the new site, moving permits clear, etc.... Has anyone had personal experience pricing this kind of project?

MUCH cheaper here in the PRC. The tough part is finding a lot where I won't get sued by neighbors for not "conforming" to the acceptable styles.

It will probably end up being torn down. It's in a crime-fest neighborhood. Probably will be replaced by subsidized housing.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney