Water Flow Detector

I was down in the basement watering the mushrooms this evening and noticed that the water pressure (we're on a well) was a bit low. I asked my wife if she'd left the sprinkler on the garden and she had, so she went out and tu rned it off.

I wondered if there was some sort of device that would detect water flowing from the outside faucet and light a warning light in the house if the wate r were left on. Maybe something that fits onto the faucet with the hose con necting to the detector gizmo. Flowing water would lower the pressure in th e line and flip a switch to turn on the light.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

If you are handy, there i a hall sensor with turbine which is used in water softeners. If the water is running the little turbine rotates generating signal... You can se this assembly in an IPB of any demand generating softeners.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I use a pair of precision flow meters to monitor water consumption, here; one for indoor water use (i.e., toilet has a slow leak, washing machine has ruptured a hose, etc.), the other for outdoor (primarily irrigation).

The problem is always deciding how *low* of a flow rate you want to sense. E.g., if you've got a garden hose trying to fill your swimming pool, the flow rate (pressure drop) is obviously *considerable*! OTOH, if you've got a trickle of water flowing at the base of a tree (so it has a chance to slowly "sink in"), then the flow rate is considerably lower.

[The flow meters that I've found are *really* expensive]

Can I suggest a simpler, cheaper solution -- one that probably also gives you the benefit of remembering to turn off the water on those occasions when you *forget*?

Use a solenoid operated valve to control the water from the hose bibb. Control the valve with a simple timer. When you want to water, set the timer for, e.g., 30 minutes. If you decide to stop the water before the timer expires, then just shut off the timer when you shut off the water. If you want the water to run for longer, you'll have to extend the time on the timer. If you *forget* to turn off the water, the timer will limit your "exposure".

[You can buy timers that screw onto a hose bibb and allow you to attach a garden hose on the "output" of the timer. These can even be programmed to turn the water on for X minutes each day, etc.]

I've added 4 hose bibbs around the periphery of the property, here (initially needed to keep the irrigation water from passing through the water softener -- wastes salt *and* bad for the plants!). The water supply line to each valve is gated with a ~$15 electrically operated irrigation valve. When I want/need water, I tell the appropriate valve to turn on, then set the "faucet" to the desired flow rate.

Reply to
Don Y

I wondered if there was some sort of device that would detect water flowing from the outside faucet and light a warning light in the house if the water were left on. Maybe something that fits onto the faucet with the hose connecting to the detector gizmo. Flowing water would lower the pressure in the line and flip a switch to turn on the light.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Paul

----------------------

I have often wondered if there was some site on the web where you could just type in something like "water flow sensor" and have it give you a list of relevant web sites.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Reply to
taxed and spent

Why don't you just put a water timer on the outdoor faucet so it'll go off automatically?

Reply to
Muggles

How about a timer?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have you ever considered a search engine and the words "water flow sensor".

Reply to
Idlehands

Great idea! Wish I had thought of that!

Reply to
Muggles

Don't expect miracles.

Reply to
micky

Used to be a stopped clock was right twice a day. Now days you mention stopped clocks to kids, and they just stand there and blink (credit to Ed Pawlowski, I think it was).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The saying (in differing forms) goes back considerably long before any folks *here* came into existence!

Title: The North American review. / Volume 93, Issue 192 Publisher: University of Northern Iowa Publication Date: July 1861 City: Cedar Falls, Iowa, etc. Pages: 612 page images in vol.

--> The hands of the motionless clock point right twice in the day.

Reply to
Don Y

lol

Reply to
Muggles

There are many different devices however what you should look for old style with micro switch Electronic devices are nice but expansive and sophisticated, however any you use plumbing will be needed. Try Liquid flow switch from United Refrigeration (URI.com) #FS4-3 $196.00 in old catalog.

I was down in the basement watering the mushrooms this evening and noticed that the water pressure (we're on a well) was a bit low. I asked my wife if she'd left the sprinkler on the garden and she had, so she went out and turned it off.

I wondered if there was some sort of device that would detect water flowing from the outside faucet and light a warning light in the house if the water were left on. Maybe something that fits onto the faucet with the hose connecting to the detector gizmo. Flowing water would lower the pressure in the line and flip a switch to turn on the light.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Paul

Reply to
tony944

taxed and spent posted for all of us...

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

d that the water pressure (we're on a well) was a bit low. I asked my wife if she'd left the sprinkler on the garden and she had, so she went out and turned it off.

ng from the outside faucet and light a warning light in the house if the wa ter were left on. Maybe something that fits onto the faucet with the hose c onnecting to the detector gizmo. Flowing water would lower the pressure in the line and flip a switch to turn on the light.

Bit late here but...I wanted a light upstairs to tell me when the pump come s on. the fix-it guy rigged up a LED light. Wired it into the pressure sw itch line leading to the pump controller. First attmep didn't work, light stayed lit. He has me on the list to returen and wire it to spare terminal s in the pressure switch itself...or I might do it. Getting a bit old and rather pay others to do 'stuff'.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K