DIY showerhead flow restrictor

I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

Stumpy

/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1391704293&sr=1-1&keywords=Saving-Shower-

Reducers-Regulators-Adaptors

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I

Would an electrical knockout plug work? You'd probably have to trim it but that wouldn't be too difficult. Another thought would be to use a nickel or quarter.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

How about a nylon washer ??

Retired

I've got very hard water. Metal fixtures have minerals build up really fast. Maybe there is a rubber end cap seal that would be the right size. Second link looks like a spare button from my sewing kit.

Reply to
Stumpy

Looks close. But that's a big orifice. Maybe 10 gpm.

Reply to
Stumpy

Cut one from a pop bottle cap and give it a try...

Reply to
Rick

Or a CPVC plug...

Reply to
Rick

I found a W-11 Caplug in my junk box. Cut out inside dimension "C" and trimmed with an Exacto to 11/16". Looks good - I'll see what complaints I hear tomorrow.

Stumpy

Knockout plug will likely rust (being steel based). Coins less likely to rust.

Hey, I've got a sink where I fill my bucket for washing the truck. If I put in a low flow aerator on my sink, will I save a lot of water?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

Go to Ace or another hardware and look through the rubber faucet washers. They are about 1/2 inch diameter and check the hole sizes. WW

Reply to
WW

You and I are pretty much opposites. I remove the flow restrictors from my shower heads.

If I could heat the water from a hydrant, I'd shower with a fire hose.

To each...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Use a hole punch to punch out a disc the right diameter. Then use another hole punch to put a hole of the desired size in that.

Reply to
mike

No, what you want to do won't work.

You will reduce the flow through the shower head, but unless you do something about the size and number of spray holes in the shower head itself, then the flow rate out of each hole won't be sufficient to create a "spray". Instead, you will turn your shower head into one that merely "spills" water on you at 1.5 gallons per minute.

In order to get satisfactory shower performance at low flow rates, the shower head itself has to be designed with fewer and/or smaller holes so that the flow rate through each hole is high enough to create a spray. Without doing that, you'll only be spending time and money creating aggrivations.

This company makes and sells excellent low flow shower heads:

'High Efficiency Toilets, Low Flow Showerheads, High Efficiency Aerator'

'Water Saving Shower Heads | Water Efficient, Low Flow Shower Heads'

The N2150-TP is a low flow shower head that comes with a thin wrench which prevents anyone tampering with the shower flow rate setting, which you might find appealing.

Reply to
nestork

Well, I didn't change the flow on the one I use. We have 3 users these days, 75 gal water heater. I have to turn the heat up high so that when diluted down to a comfortable temperature, it can supply 3 showers. User 1 takes a couple minute shower. User 2 takes a long, long shower. User 3 sometimes runs out of hot water. Tomorrow user 2, which is not me, will use ~1/2 his normal water volume and if wifey doesn't run out when it's her turn, then I can lower the setpoint. My personal routine will not change.

I'm trying to follow in LdB's footsteps from that earlier thread.

Reply to
Stumpy

That was a thread that I started.

You should be able to find something in the sprinkler head section of a hardware store.

Personally I think that those flow restrictors are counter-productive because it just takes longer to have a complete shower and water usage isn't going to be appreciably reduced.

The hot-water reduction system trains the user to take faster showers but doesn't make it an annoying experience by lowering the water pressure.

Reply to
sms

Interestingly the model I have and want to continue to use after modification is this one:

It must have a molded plastic chamber behind the spray holes because it never clogs with minerals like the metal ones do. Visually it still has a nice spray after reducing the flow rate. I'm not saying a thing - I wonder if I even hear a comment tomorrow at breakfast.

Reply to
Stumpy

rol Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous pric es for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

rs-Regulators-Adaptors Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.
GPM

We're all waiting to hear the results!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

We're all waiting to hear the results!!!!

Oh well, It was noticed right away. I just mumbled something about water pressure, drought, utility bills, etc. but the restrictor is staying in place. Phase 2 of lowering the temperature will start this weekend.

Reply to
Stumpy

Be interesting to see if your actions result in lower fuel and water bills. Please let us know what results.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I thought the suggestion to plug some of the spray head holes while keeping the pressure up was a novel idea, the user would still feel the spray force, but there would be some water saved.

Reply to
hrhofmann