Floor Joists in a 2 story house

Do all floor joists in a 2 story house run the same way on each level?

Thanks Chad

Reply to
boese.c

JefCullen

In typical constuction, usually. But there's no reason for that, except that the shape of the floor is usually the same, and therefore the easiest/cheapest way to assemble the floor is the same. My house is timber-frame, and there's beam running along the centerline on the ground and upper floor, but not in the attic, so the third floor, the joists all run frame-to-frame, and on the lower floors, they're parallel to the frame.

Reply to
Goedjn

I am trying to locate my load bearing walls. I have a small attic access on the secod level at floor level and the joists seem to be running a different way than the joists in the basement. I am wanting to expand a doorway to a openening about 9' wide, but I think the wall is a load bearing wall. What type of header will I need?

Thanks

Goedjn wrote:

Reply to
boese.c

My bad, the joist are running the same way, so that is a load bearing wall!!

snipped-for-privacy@maplan.com wrote:

Reply to
boese.c

THe kind recommended by someone who's actually looked at the house, and poked a hole in the ceiling or floor to see what's actually there.

Reply to
Goedjn