under cabinet lighting

i'm installing an under the cabinet lighting kit of three lights which is hard wired to outlet. what i want to know is this! the kit comes with three lights and we have come to conclusion half way through installation that we only need 2 light, there also is a lot of wire to hide. can i cut the wire after the second light and tape the end! is this acceptable

Reply to
goatiegoat

Without knowing a lot more about what you have, I could not guess, but I suspect what you are thinking of doing is not a good idea. I might add that someone mentioned that under cabinet lighting wired directly to an outlet is a code violation.

Is it possible you are talking about low voltage halogen lights that have a large plug (containing the transformer) and a thin wire to the lamps? If so I suggest you really should contact the manufacture to determine if it is safe to run only two lamps off the transformer. I would guess it would be OK but check anyway.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If what Joseph describes, is what you have, lights with a plug on them, it's fine to plug them into a counter outlet. You can't cut the plug off and hard wire them though. If you only want two of the three lights, open up the middle light and disconnect the wires to the one you don't want from there and tape the wire ends

Reply to
RBM