polished concrete floor

We are considering to have the cement floor in our finished basement done with a color acid stain and polish (then use some area rugs in couch areas). They even have stamps that can duplicate the texture of slate or tile. My question is, What is the approximate price range (per sqft) to get this done. We'd most likely just want a deep brown/terricota stain and strong polish done to the floor (texture is not necessary). I know very little about this floor type, but it looks real nice and seems to need very little maintenance. Are there are gotchas? The cement down now (basic basement cement slab), is in great condition (flat, no cracks, etc). In the off case that water gets in basement (broken pipe, etc...) does this hold up, I assume it would). Thanks

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

about the same price as laying a good quality of tile. it's different in all areas of the country. try using your yellow pages and asking for a couple of quotes.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I did my front porch, about 50x8 feet.

Was much cheaper than tile although had to go a ways to find a place to sell the acid stain and sealer.

Holds up well outside, wash it off all the time.

There is a difference from what is called concrete stain and acid stain, make sure you know which you want.

Standard stains go on like paint, solid color. Acid stain is an acid that interacts with the minerals in the concrete to turn a color. The acid stain will produce a varying result in shading, many times can get a really cool marbling effect.

For any possible contact with water and outdoor use use solvent based sealer but it is not recommended for indoor use, not sure if can if ventilated well until cured, would have to check on that.

Going to put in a concrete patio soon and use the stain again.

Reply to
MC

Yeah I was hoping to go for an acid stain. I don't want the floor to simply look like painted (or in this case stained) over concrete. I like the color "texture" that results form the acid stain. I did get a single quote so far, $8 and up a sqft. which would bring the cost of doing my basement to $6000, WAY more than we want to spend on flooring for a finished basement. For comparison, we could get standard/basic carpet down for about $1200. What did you use as a search for a company to do this? There appears to be very few companies that do this work. Thanks!

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

The one I used was from Kemiko

Should be able to fins a dealer on the site. Also they have intructions on using the products and can see many examples on the site.

MC

Reply to
MC