Crumbling concrete garage floor

If its failing it was likely an improper mix and will continue to fail. Anything you put on it might make a repour impossible.

Reply to
ransley

e quoted text -

My concrete floor is maybe 90yrs and fine and full of salt, id say the wrong mix was used.

Reply to
ransley

Unless you have 1000 times more cars rolling over your garage floor than drive on a concrete freeway, I'd say it's not "wear and tear." Probably something more basic, such as NOT being actual concrete.

I'd guess you've got a mock concrete floor.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not all concrete is created equal. If a cheap mix is used or if it is not mixed properly, or if it is not installed properly (that includes the floating and final finish, or weather conditions when first put in, can all cause that kind of problem.

Take a look at the link. Is thet what it looks like?

Joseph Meehan

Jackhammer it out and repour it. Anything else is going to look terrible.

Reply to
Robert Neville

We moved in to this house 4 years ago the house is about 12 years old. The garage floor wearing down little bit by little bit, exposing the stone aggregate. I'm guessing something like a 1/4" maybe more or less from the surface. I don't know anything about resurfacing. The garage is also a festival of dust when I sweap.

I thinking maybe not to etch and paint because I'm concerned that if it continues to deteriorate, it will look worse.

I seam to remember someone once told me about some kind of failing concrete hardener, but more than that I couldn't tell you.

Maybe some sort of clear sealer?

I'm looking for some ideas, guidence, direction, suggestions.

Thanks

Rob G

Reply to
workpot

Also, it is only failing in the area where the tires roll and the floor never freezes.

Reply to
Rob G

The garage is at basement level and the rest of the basement floor is OK as is the rest of the garage floor where the car is not parked. Could it be the road salt? I'm in NE PA and we have fairly long winters. For example its March 28 and we had light snow this week.

Reply to
Rob G

"Robert Neville" wrote

I think I'd also have a professional on sl;abs look at it. If the garage is mis-done, so might the rest of the house?

Reply to
cshenk