Is my house at danger?

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Or fix the problem and disclose an upgraded foundation. Not cheap, but not prohibitively expensive if the rest of the house is in good shape and the settlement is a small area. It was around $17,000 to jack up our two-story wood-frame house, tear out the old foundation, and pour a new one built to exceed earthquake code.

Has it been temporarily fixed before? Did they do a quick patch-and- paint on cracked walls before selling the house?
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
says...

That was the whole foundation? Or a part of it?
But, yes, that's the answer. I went the route of getting an engineer's inspection and recommendations, documented these, and followed them, and documented that. One need only worry about disclosure to the next buyer if one doesn't FIX the problem.
Banty
says...

Oh, should of course note that construction costs will vary widely depending on your area and what contractors you use -- we had bids up to $60,000 for the same job.
Definitely get the names of past customers before picking a contractor, and check their complaints history, bond payouts, etc.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
says...

Oh - my foundation job is done already. Went well. Possibly might have been cheaper, but this was the contractor whom I could trust. Mostly, I'm just curious.
Banty
Yes, they did. But not my immediately previous owner. My immediately previous owner only lived at this house for about 18 months. The owner before them did a quick patch-and paint on cracked walls before selling the house.
On 26 Oct 2005 15:32:33 -0700, someone wrote:

"Figure out" or PROVE (to an extent useable in a legal action)?
Can you find a previous engineer or inspector who gave him a report indicating there was a problem? (And who will TELL YOU or ADMIT TO YOU that they did?)
Actually, do you even KNOW there is a problem? Before you start trying to "figure out" if the previous owner knew there was a problem, maybe YOU better ACTUALLY FIND OUT if there is one. (It would be pretty hard for the previous guy to know about something that is all in YOUR imagination.)
You can always call the Real Estate commission for advice. I am going to assume that there were no structural problems indicated on the Residential Property Disclosure form when you bought the house and that there were no problems found when you had the house inspected before purchase. If you or your home inspector didn't catch it the first time chances are that the problem was hidden and that the seller didn't know about it. Agents and the seller are obligated to inform purchasers of all material facts related to the purchase of property.

Home inspectors really work for the realty agent and not for you the buyer.
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:50:37 -0500, in misc.consumers.house redhatnooblet

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:56:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

    Bullshit.
    They work for whoever hired them. If you let the agent hire the inspector, you're a fool.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.' 'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.' HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm /
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:01:01 GMT, in misc.consumers.house ...p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

You're very naive if you believe that.
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:43:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

    You're an idiot if you don't understand it.
    If you're smart enough to go HIRE YOUR OWN INSPECTOR - AND PAY THEM - , then THEY WORK FOR YOU, THEY REPORT TO YOU, period.
    If you're dumb enough to simply accept 'the inspection that comes bundled with the deal' from your agent, then you get what you get - THEIR INSPECTOR.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.' 'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.' HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm /
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:47:23 GMT, in misc.consumers.house ...p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

You're very naive.
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:13:06 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

    You're an asshole.
    Luckily, you're not MY asshole.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.' 'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.' HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm /
says...

::sigh:::
This from large-hole/small-sink.
It's simple.
If YOU YOU YOU hire an inspector they'll report to YOU YOU YOU.
What are you suggesting, they the inspector will, um, make a lot of calls, seek out the seller's agent, call the seller's agent, and find out what they want them to say to the person who hired them??
Newsflash: The Whole World *isn't* really Out To Get You.
Truly!
Banty
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Unless you hire your own.

This is key to understand in real estate.
The seller's agent does not work for you. They are paid when the sale closes.
"Your" buyer's agent does not work for you. They supposedly represent you, and are bound by a code of ethics which some take more seriously than others, but don't kid yourself--they are paid by the seller.... when the sale closes. By definition, they don't work for you.
There are but two people who can possibly work for you in a transaction: your attorney (whom you find yourself and pay flat rate) your inspector (whom you find yourself and pay flat rate)
If either of these were referred by a Realtor--be a little suspicious. Because if their counsel killed too many questionable/shady deals, you can be certain that they wouldn't be first on an unscrupulous Realtor's referral list. There are exceptions of course, but you tend to only find out you've got a lemon after it's too late.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
On 01 Nov 2005 19:43:51 -0600, in misc.consumers.house snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

We paid our inspector ourselves but the real estate agent recommended him.. yeah a mistake I know.
On 01 Nov 2005 19:43:51 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

    That depends ENTIRELY on the contract you agree to with them. And they are paid 'from the sale', not ' by the seller'. No sale, no comish. SO yeh, they have an interest in closing the deal, which is at odds with yours.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.' 'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.' HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm /
...p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com writes:

Whose side of the closing sheet does that commission come off of? In both states I've done real estate transaction in at least, it's been off the seller's side of the closing sheet. So while the seller isn't cutting them a check and handing it to them, they are paying that buyer's broker commission.
But, I agree it's a minor point on top of the "from the sale" origin of the funding. The point remains simply that buyer's agency is really quite a misnomer, and you shouldn't trust your buyer's agent any farther than you can throw them. The quicker they get you to sign and close, the more $ they make for their time. Aside from the likelihood of repeat business and referrals from you, there isn't any incentive for them to steer you away from any listed property.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
"Todd H." wrote:

That's why there really are no true buyer's agents. But all it takes is one to start a revolution. I think a "buyer's agent" who was paid some percentage of the difference between seller's asking price and the actual sale price, would be in great demand. The more he or she saved homebuyers, the more he or she would earn.