Is Energizer trying to kill the rechargeable battery?

Until a few years ago, the Costco near me also had pneumatic tubes to send canisters of cash and checks from the cash registers to a secure room. I thought in interesting that NYC used to have a network of those pneumatic tubes throughout the business district of Manhattan. <http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/pneumatic-system-new-york-public-library . A lot of the tube network ended up being re-purposed for fiber-optic cables.
Costco _has_ gone downhill, though I find that it's still far better than Sam's Club in most respects. One really nice feature of Costco is their 2 year warranty on electronics and computers, which is actually a 3 year warranty if you use your Costco Amex to make the purchase.
Costco generally has a good selection of casual and business casual clothing, which is the dress code in most of Silicon Valley. They have an excellent selection of food items, including more and more gourmet food at very good prices--stuff most people would never buy if they had to pay the prices regular markets charge.
One of the biggest savings is in tires. The savings in a set of tires can pay for the whole membership. The tire prices are only a bit less expensive than a tire store, but Costco doesn't gouge for the related services. The mounting and balancing includes new valves, they include nitrogen inflation, and they included the road hazard warranty. They actually honor the tread wear warranties with no hassle. Since there's so many Costco's around, you actually have a chance of using the warranty even on a trip. Gasoline is usually about 10¢ per gallon cheaper at Costco.

That's convenient. To run a fiber, simply put stick it in one end and push the button.

I've never collected on an electronics warranty so it doesn't matter much to me. The tire department went to crap and the meat became inedible so we stopped going. The meat at the Sam's here is quite good and the prices are more than competitive. I don't miss Costco at all.
For that matter, I did have a "demo" BJs membership a few years ago. Their tire department, at the time, was much better than either of the others.

I wouldn't think about buying clothes in any of the above.

I recently bought a set of tires at Sams, but they didn't last long. I had to get rid of the truck a week later (found the frame was rotted way beyond repair). Bad planning. ;-)

Don't have a Costco to compare here, but the Sams is usually $.10 and often $.20 cheaper than the off-brands (I usually compare to Kroger) here. It's been more than $.20 cheaper a few times recently and at least once, $.30 less than the brands. I haven't paid any attention to BJs gas prices. They're out of my normal traffic pattern.

It's rare, but one area that is really worthwhile is on laptops. My friend in Hawaii recently got Amex to pay him for the cost of repairs on a 2.5 year old laptop. He chose to use the money to buy a new computer.
I also contacted them regarding a laptop repair but I never sent in the paperwork because it was only $100.

I should modify my statement above. I have used warranties and even extended warranties on laptops. laptop repair is incredibly expensive so I include the cost of three years of warranty in the purchase price - usually around $70 (for a $1200 laptop) for three years (depot, including postage). I figure after three years, I'll buy a new one rather than having it repaired.
I don't buy extended warranties otherwise.
On 9/3/2013 8:30 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Even though the C & D batteries "made" with the adapters have a relatively low capacity compared to true C & D NiMH batteries, I suspect that for most users it's not of great concern since they are going to recharge the batteries anyway, and they have a spare set ready to use.
I thought it was interesting that Sanyo was willing to do a low self-discharge NiMH. The reason for the self-discharge problem has been known for a long time, as has the solution. The problem is that the side effect of the solution is to reduce the capacity. So you have to do some good marketing to convince consumers that a 2000mAH cell is better than a 2800mAH cell at the same or lower price. It's like trying to convince someone to buy a digital camera based on high-ISO noise characteristics, not just the number of megapixels.
On 9/3/2013 12:05 PM, sms wrote:

Not really, Eneloops (and the other LSD NiMH cells) are practical for applications where regular NiMHs (or any other currently available rechargeable cell) would be completely unsuitable, like remote controls, battery powered wall clocks, etc. Only took a couple alkaline leaking incidents to make me take the leap, because the only other real alternative would be lithium primaries, but if the Eneloops last for 3-4 charge cycles they've paid for themselves relative to lithiums.
nate
Which brands of alkalines were most leaker for you? Was one brand worse?
I recently had a bunch of Rayovac D alkalines leak. New in pack, in date. Not stored in car truck or other high heat.
On 9/3/2013 2:02 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

One set was some GP brand AAAs that came with a Bosch laser distance finder. That was partially my fault; I'd lent it to someone and then subsequently lost it and then found it under the seat of my car some months later :(
An Energizer AA also leaked in a wall clock, but who knows how long it'd been there. (not my clock.)
Roommate actually bought a huge pack of Philips brand carbon zinc AAs probably at Big Lots, he doesn't understand why I don't want to use them :(
nate
On 9/3/2013 3:05 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 9/3/2013 8:30 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Costco is about the best place I've found for Eneloops. Also, the Sanyo charger is very good in terms of end of charge detection, using -∆V and temperature. You just can't use it for NiCad AA cells though because NiCads have a different end of charge detection.
I think that one reason that you don't see more C & D NiMH batteries is that the chargers are rather large.
The best smart charger I've found is the Tenergy TN190 (I have the previous model the T6278). This is a better than the Maha or LaCrosse smart chargers. But the reality is, the Sanyo Eneloop charger will charge the batteries just as well, it just won't provide all the detailed information on the charge state, and there's no discharge function to attempt to revitalize problem cells. These higher end chargers provide a lot of information, and for a techie they're interesting, but the reality is that there's no real advantage to them. Just avoid super-low-end chargers with no end-of-charge detection.
Well actually there is one big difference between chargers. Sanyo's original Eneloop charger had four separate channels so you could charge 1, 2, 3, or 4 batteries. The newer ones charge in pairs so you can't charge an odd number of batteries. So if this is a concern, look for a charger with 4 independent channels.
On 9/3/2013 10:30 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

That's why I keep my eyes open everywhere I go in stores because you can trip over a good deal if you know the value and prices of items. Knowledge is power, heck, I may have to get one of those smart-ass phones so I can compare prices and specs on things I run across. ^_^
TDD

You don't have one yet? It really is great to be able to do that, even more so if you occasionally stop in a Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. just for entertainment purposes.
I've yet to find any truly spectacular deals though, although it's saved me a few times from taking a chance on appealing looking but difficult to fix items, inferior products from a good brand, etc.
nate
On 9/3/2013 5:53 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I'll get things at pawn shops sometimes because I know what the heck an item is. My best find was a 3M fiber optic test set in perfect condition with carrying case I bought for $40.00 and it was a current model that Graybar sold for $1,050.00. ^_^
TDD

I only have one local pawn shop and they are awful proud of their stuff. I don't think they plan on selling a whole lot. I did spot a nice old 60's Omega wristwatch there, but they couldn't be arsed to quote me a price on it, and based on the prices on some of the other stuff there, I wouldn't have got a deal anyway.
I have in other areas got good deals at pawn shops though, mostly automotive tools...
nate

I've never seen a pawn shop that wasn't proud of their stuff. Some around here are also decent gun stores but they're way expensive on other than new.

Probably. They know what it's worth and aren't giving the stuff away. They seem to be able to sit on merchandise until the right person comes along.

Dunno about that but any power tools I've seen can be had, new, cheaper.
You did talk him down from $50??
I havn't gotten any scores like that.

On 9/3/2013 7:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've gotten things like a Milwaukee 1/2" Hole Shooter for $30.00 and a big rechargeable Freon leak detector with case and extra (good) battery for $75.00, I looked it up and I think it sold new for around $400.00. I loaned it to my pal LM or I would be able to tell the name of the manufacturer but I think it was Ikegami. ^_^
TDD
That's quite a skill. With the economy as bad as it is, most likely a lot of folks selling tools off, cheap. Come to think of it, there is a pawn shop I pass by, now and again. I should visit, and see what items they have.

What, exactly, are you complaining about? That their capacity is low? Perhaps that;s the tradeoff for the selling price? What do all the different batteries cost in $/100mAh ??
On 8/30/2013 11:41 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Eneloop AA = 2000 mAh, $10/4, so $0.125 per 100 mAh
Energizer D = 2500 mAh, $12/2, so $0.24 per 100 mAh
but the real insult is that their "D cell" isn't low self discharge and has less capacity than some traditional AAs! In fact I'm pretty sure the Maha Imedion AAs (LSD) are rated at 2400 mAh. So what's going to happen is people are going to buy these either not understanding what the numbers mean or not reading the label and they're going to replace a 15,000 mAh alkaline with a 2500 mAh NiMH (even though there's 8-10K mAh NiMHs available, they're not sold in stores!) and be disappointed in the rechargeables, mutter about damn tree hugging hippies ruining everything, and go back to alkalines.
I'm mad that Energizer would market such a shitty product and one that is so spectacularly unsuited for its intended use. I'm also mad that I've never seen a *good* competing product in stores, save for at Micro Center.
Three Duraloops in one of these would be infinitely preferable (almost as good as a real NiMH D cell, and possibly more convenient), *if* you could buy the adapters in stores...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parallel-Battery-Adapter-Holder-1-5V-Output-Case-Box-Convert-3-AA-to-1-D-Size-/181152170832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2d82c350
nate
On 8/31/2013 3:59 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

If it's not intended for YOUR use, don't buy it. I'm quite sure that the marketing department did lots of studies to determine that they could sell more product at that price/product point.
You must have a stroke when you walk down the paper products aisle at the market.
I'm also mad that