Installing a Metal Door check (like a doorchain)

Is it possible to install a Metal Door check (like a doorchain) where the door frame is metal? Thanks
How do I install a Metal Door check (like a doorchain) where the door frame is metal? Are special screws required? Thanks
Use what are known as "sheet metal" screws. Drill a small pilot hole. When the screws are driven in, they cut their own threads. Any hardware store... various head styles. I even bet the screws that came with the door check might be usable. I know the ones that are used to hang things like Venetian blinds are usable in wood and metal. The screws often have a flat, but raised head, like an upside down frying pan. They are called "pan head" screws. Very useful for all sorts of things. Just don't get the pilot hole too big, or there won't be enough "bite" for the screws. By the same token, don't make it too small, or you can shear off the screw, which is going to be VERY difficult to remove!
professorpaul wrote:

And, if the metal is quite thin, it's even better to drill a tiny hole through it and then use an awl (or icepick) driven into the hole to enlarge it by extruding some metal rearward, which gives the sheet metal screw more to bite into so it's not as likely to get pulled out when someone tries to push the door in on you.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Be aware that door chains are worse than useless. You disarm the major defense (the dead-bolt) by opening the door a crack. The goblin, intent on ravishing maidens, reaches in with a bolt cutter, snips your itty-bitty chain with about as much force as that used on a toenail clipper.
You're a goner; there's nothing left to do but faint.
Consider a peep-hole or a hole like you see on armored cars through which you can shoot.
Didn't you live down the street from me? Yeah! Is that you!
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.