Indoor/Outdoor Weather Station Problem

Page 1 of 2
About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit. It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.
Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.
Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar weather product.
Thanks, Art
I have an old La Crosse, more than 5 years old, still going...
Have you tried different locations, especially your indoor station? Sometimes that helps.
marc
On 1/22/2013 10:23 AM, Art Harris wrote:

There could have been corrosion to the electrical connection on the outdoor sensor or if it has wires on the outside, squirrels are bad about chewing on wires. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 08:23:54 -0800 (PST), Art Harris

If you followed them exactly-- removing the batteries from the inside one- then replacing the batteries in the outside one before replacing the inside batteries--- Then try reversing the procedure and making the receiver hot before the sender.
It matters, and I have several remote thingies- and some need an active receiver first, others need an active sender first.
Jim [and of course- check for on/off switches- or dead batteries.]
elbrecht wrote: Art Harris

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
I just tried powering up the receiver first, but no joy. Was worth a try though.
I think it's most likely that the transmitter unit is at fault (since it has has been outside in the heat and cold, though sheltered from rain and snow).
I put brand new Dura-cell batteries in both units, and checked their voltage.
Maybe I can get a new transmitter unit only from La Crosse. I like this product because it looks good, is easy to read, and gives me all I need to know and nothing more. It worked perfectly for about two years.
Art
"Art Harris" wrote in message wrote:

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
I just tried powering up the receiver first, but no joy. Was worth a try though.
I think it's most likely that the transmitter unit is at fault (since it has has been outside in the heat and cold, though sheltered from rain and snow).
I put brand new Dura-cell batteries in both units, and checked their voltage.
Maybe I can get a new transmitter unit only from La Crosse. I like this product because it looks good, is easy to read, and gives me all I need to know and nothing more. It worked perfectly for about two years.
Art
Art The ones I have (not your brand) have 3 different settings to match the receiver. When the batteries die I need to match them up after replacing the batteries. WW
On 1/22/2013 12:37 PM, Art Harris wrote:

Well, that's where it's supposed to be so I wouldn't presume that should cause a problem.. :)

I have a Davis Instruments unit and when it occasionally loses the signal from the outside unit I walk the receiver closer until it synch's again and then can return it to the spot in the house where it normally resides (the remote unit is behind the silo and the house has steel siding from direct site of the unit but it was the only convenient place at the time and I've not worked on rigging up a special location for it). Anyway, I'd suggest trying that as someone else also suggested--get the two in close proximity. There should be a way to test the communications on the base unit I'd think.
Contact LeCrosse directly--I presume they have a tech support group--the Davis Instruments folks are very helpful.
On 1/22/2013 1:37 PM, Art Harris wrote:

The unit we have has a small LED on the sender. It winks when the sender is sending a reading. Does your unit have an LED?

product because it looks good, is easy to read, and gives me all I need to know and nothing more. It worked perfectly for about two years.

On 01/22/13 11:23 am, Art Harris wrote:

How cold is it where you are? What batteries did you use in the outdoor unit? I think that the Lithium ones (e.g., Energizer Lithium) are supposed to work at much lower temperatures than the regular ones.
Perce

I bought one of their cheaper units, only model no I can find is 3n6. Within a week the outdoor unit failed, because of condensation in the plastic bag I had placed it because the instructions said so. Now I rely on a web-based weather reporting system that references local weather stations, <http://www.wunderground.com/ .
Also, the radio-controlled time setting leaves a lot to be desired.
--
Best regards
Han

Have you switched batteries between the units? HAve you placed the outdoor transmitter just a couple of feet away from the receiver to see if there is a response at the close-in distance?
On 1/22/2013 10:23 AM, Art Harris wrote:

Are you sure that it is a model 8300? I have several La Crosse units but I am not familiar with that model nor can I find it on their website. On the units that I am familiar with you must reset the unit after changing batteries. On some models you simply press the "+" key for a couple of seconds until you hear a short beep. This synchronizes the transmitter and receiver together.
To take a look at one of mine just point your browser to www.dongares.com/weather.htm
Don
On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:32:41 PM UTC-5, IGot2P wrote:

Yes, it is an 8300. Here's what it looks like:
http://lacrossetechnology.com/8300 /
Their instruction is to put batteries in the Transmitting unit first, then the receiving unit (with the units a few feet apart). I've tried both ways.
I got this unit a couple of years ago, so it may be discontinued. Has worked flawlessly until now. The coldest it gets around here is around 5F and that's rare. The night it failed was only around 27F.
Art

This is jes my two cents. First, be aware La Crosse is about the cheapest weather stuff available. Walmart carries it. My LC remote temp thingie lasted 1 yr before dying most especially dead for no particular reason. Second, I wouldn't buy Duracell at gunpoint! I've seen their alkaline coppertop batteries stop working in sub-freezing temps. That has never happened with Energizers, IME.
Free bonus fyi cent: Don't waster yer money on Energinzer lithiums. IMO, they're worth more than any la crosse unit you put 'em in. ;)
nb
notbob wrote:

I'm not a "serious" weather guy. This unit was a gift. It looks nice and uncluttered in my kitchen, and gives accurate outdoor temp data so I can decide what to wear before going outside. I had no trouble for about two years (never even had to replace the batts). If I can get new sensor for around $20 I'll be a happy camper.
Art
Art
My remote temp from Walmart, has a teeny tiny reset button on the back. Needs tip of pen or pencil to push the remote. I think both TX and RX have reset button.
As someone else suggested, test the batteries you put in. I've seen duds from the package. Visually also check for corroded spring and terminal inside the unit.
Please let us know how it works out.
About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit. It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it.
Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I replaced the batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the procedure in the manual, but cannot get any outdoor readings.
Would welcome any helpfull hints or recomendations for a similar weather product.
Thanks, Art
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 08:23:54 -0800 (PST), Art Harris

That should do it. Maybe try the outside ones again.

BTW I love mine. I wish I could buy a couple more for the bedrooms that use the same outside temp. sensor. The small bedroom size ones do not come with the outside temp.
Since it seemed more likely than not that the outdoor sensor was the culprit, I located and ordered a replacement sensor. I installed batteries in the new sensor first, then in the indoor unit. After about ten seconds, the indoor unit started to respond. Moved the sensor to it's usual outdoor location, and all is back to normal.
Thanks to all who responded!
Interesting footnote: The online shop I bought the sensor from is for wine enthusiasts. They sell the weather station to folks who want to monitor the temperature and humidity of their wine cellar!
Art Harris
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 08:23:54 -0800 (PST), Art Harris

I have another brand and you connect the components together with what is essentially phone wire with connectors. The connectors corroded and needed to be cleaned up.
I use lithium batteries and get at least two years out of them.