OT: Courts strike down challenges to "Right To Work"

"A pair of federal courts struck down union challenges to labor reforms in Indiana and Wisconsin last week, preserving major Republican gains aimed at cutting costs and attracting business."

HeyBub

Finally, more states are passing laws which extort "dues" exactly like the Mafia does in big cities...-----"Youse wanna have a job here, youse gotta let us wet our beak "......

Reply to
Robert

Which states would those be?

Reply to
krw

Interesting that the gvt has no problem extorting "dues" from us whether we want to pay them or not but doesn't think it's right when it's done by private organizations that are formed for the same purpose as the gvt.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Here is a concept. Why not ask whomever setup your computer to add additional groups so you can make on topic posts?

Likely they told you you are "on the Internet" or something like that but you are posting in a home repair newsgroup.

Just like say going to the market you wouldn't expect the frozen peas to be located in the bakery department news servers have lots of other groups that may be more in line with the stuff you post.

Reply to
George

why don't you ask whoever set your computer up to teach you how to use your newsreader and filter what you don't want to see. HB clearly marked his post OT, but the idiot you are just couldn't help but click on it anyway

Reply to
ChairMan

You raise an interesting topic, which I considered, but I decided to post the link anyway.

Home repair is often dependent on union labor, therefore I felt the subject was of interest to those who needed something more than hanging a picture. It stands to reason that if union plumbers, HVAC devils, electricians, etc., are willing to work for less, we all benefit.

Reply to
HeyBub

Here in the Peoples Republic of NJ, the legislature passed a bill requiring that the Sandy relief money that the state gets from the feds should only go to union workers. Christy said he's thinking about whether to sign it. The fact that he has to even think about it is an example of why conservatives have their doubts about him.

Reply to
trader4

Seems more that the opposite is happening Right-to-work laws are being enacted all over the place, and courts are declaring them legal.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

....but for the purpose of futhering the rights of the working man.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The unions build roads and defend us with military operations? I did not know that.

Unions were great in the 1920's to maybe the 50's, but became nothing buy money grabbing organizations after that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Build roads, yes. As to military operations, at least they do some good mob scenes, and violent protests.

.

The unions build roads and defend us with military operations? I did not know that.

Unions were great in the 1920's to maybe the 50's, but became nothing buy money grabbing organizations after that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That is probably Davis Bacon money so it is a distinction without a difference.

Reply to
gfretwell

We're tired of unrealistic economic distortions that are bleeding us taxpayers to death. When you need electrical or plumbing work done at your house, do you demand that it only be done by a union worker and exclude all other bidders? If you don't, then you're just another limousine lib hypocrite.

Reply to
trader4

Sorry, just trying to help someone out by pointing out there are other groups available so they wouldn't even need to preface their post with "OT" because they don't know any better.

Reply to
George

The difference is not between $45/hr and $20/hr; the difference is between $45/hr and nothing.

Right-to-work (RTW) states have, in the main, a lower unemployment rate than those who have union shops (6.9% vs. 7.6%). In the past decade, my state (a RTW state) has created HALF (700,000) of all the private-sector jobs in the nation.

So, again in my state, a greater proportion have jobs than in, say, NJ, and the cost of living is lower. That is, the standard of living of your average Texan is about the same as the standard of living for your average Garden Stater.

Reply to
HeyBub

Stop that!!! We have enough yankees here already, don't be encouraging more to come here. Let them keep their unions and the cold weather, they deserve 'em

Reply to
ChairMan

if they didn't know any better, they wouldn't have even marked it OT

*Your* filters are your best friend
Reply to
ChairMan

Which will prevail: Their desire for better weather or their fear of guns?

Reply to
HeyBub

Easy, fear of guns

Reply to