Mystery pipe?

Awl --

Ahm semi-re-plumbing the lines to the HW heater, and I noticed what appears to be some sort of vent/pressure relief ditty coming off the *CW inlet to the HWH*. From the CW pipe to this gadget is copper, from the gadget to the wall is 1/2 black pipe. The 1/2 pipe goes thru an outside wall, altho I have yet to find anything outside!

I'd be hardpressed to imagine that this thing still works, whatever it was. I'm sure it's 25++ years old. It's not an anti-water hammering device, afaict. Is it safe to just get rid of this thing? City water pressure is barely 60 psi, I have gauges plumbed into a couple of lines, very little variation. It would make my life a lot easier if I could ignore/get rid of this thing.

Reply to
Existential Angst

City water can be shut off, making the tank a closed system. Then simply heating cold water can generate enough pressure to pop the relief valve. I found that out by experience after closing the meter valve to make a repair. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The relief valve on our HWS cracks every sunny day (solar system), old gas system used to as well.

Check out the Mythbusters video on what a HWS explosion can do - quite impressive & destructive even if it is enhanced by the Jamie's.

Reply to
Dennis

new hot water tanks come with a temp pressure valve pre installed, the outlet should go to the floor to prevent a scald hazard if someone happens to be walking by when it operates

Reply to
bob haller

Some jurisdictions require the pressure relief to be piped outdoors. Sounds like this is what the OP is looking at.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

Yes, that tank and water explosion was a sight to behold. IIRC they removed the TP valve, and deliberately blew it up. Took much longer than they expected.

.

Check out the Mythbusters video on what a HWS explosion can do - quite impressive & destructive even if it is enhanced by the Jamie's.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nope...PRV is on the side of the tank not on the CW supply line...

Reply to
dpb

Why do you have a HW heater? Does your WH not make CW hot enough?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you heat hot water, doesn't it boil? So a hot water heater would be a boiler? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Why would one heat hot water?

Reply to
Thomas

To get steam you big silly thing. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That would depend on how hot you heat the hot water.

In the average house you probably have an 80 - 90 degree range before your HWH becomes a boiler, although we need probably need to factor pressure (and the PRV) into the equation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

To keep it hot?

Reply to
krw

I remember Myth Busters removing the T&P valve and plugging to hole in an electric water heater and building a little test house, filling the heater, turning on the power and watching the thing take off like a rocket blowing up the little house. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A friend's boyhood home had a water heater explosion early one Sunday morning. It lifted all the floor boards from the joists, most of the joists from the foundation, and the floorboards from the upstairs floor as well as blowing out all the windows and lifting the roof. Apparently it took several weeks to get the old farm-house livable after. Neighbours a few farms away felt the shock as well as hearing the boom.

Reply to
clare

A pressure relief valve can be anywhere as long as it can "see" tank pressure and never be isolated. We have an indirect heater and the valve sits right on top.

Reply to
George

My guess is that it is the prolly regulator..

Reply to
George

new hot water tanks come with a temp pressure valve pre installed, the outlet should go to the floor to prevent a scald hazard if someone happens to be walking by when it operates ===================================================

OK, since my HWH is a Kenmore, it of course has this valve built in to the heater itself.

Is what Jim was talking about how they did it in the old days? If so, then I can just remove that piping?

Now I know what those long tubes are for! I guess I should put one on.... :)

Reply to
Existential Angst

That would be "proly".....

Reply to
Existential Angst

If it is pressure only, yes. If temp and pressure, it needs to be in the top (portion) of the rank

Reply to
clare